Thyroid Problems and My weight loss

Options
I found out 2 years ago that i had hypothyroidism and i lot 50 lbs pretty quick once i was put on meds. But it is hard for me to lose now and i have even gained 13 lbs due to just wanting to munch really. I go to the gym and try to keep focused but it does no good. Does anyone have any ideas how to boost my metabolism and weight loss? These thyroid problems are driving me crazy.

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    When did you last have your thyroid labs drawn? If your thyroid levels (TSH, T3, T4) are stable (between 0.5 and 5), then it's not your thyroid. You should be having your levels checked every year at least. If they aren't at a stable point yet, they should be checked every 3 months until they are.

If your thyroid levels are within normal range, then you need to look at the simple thing: calories in vs. calories out.
  • kikibruce
    kikibruce Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I need to have them checked again but at one point it was at a 7 then around 5.7. i can count calories and feel like it still does no good.
  • ceciliam23
    ceciliam23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I tried doing myfitnesspal last year for a month and didn't lose anything. This time I'm following the rules of the Paleo diet and I managed to lose 6 pounds in about 20 days, which is amazing for me.
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    When did you last have your thyroid labs drawn? If your thyroid levels (TSH, T3, T4) are stable (between 0.5 and 5), then it's not your thyroid. You should be having your levels checked every year at least. If they aren't at a stable point yet, they should be checked every 3 months until they are.

If your thyroid levels are within normal range, then you need to look at the simple thing: calories in vs. calories out.

This is perfect advice..... good luck, i know it won't be easy as my mom has thyroid issues :(
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    At 5.7, it's still too high. Once you get it down, the weight will come off. Continue to eat well and exercise, even if the scale isn't showing any change, or if the change is going the wrong way. Overall being healthier is still the goal.
  • smcclaycouffer
    smcclaycouffer Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Losing weight for me has been a struggle for the past 9 years because of my hypothyroidism. I also have PCOS which also causes weight gain. At one point with the right meds and diet I was able to lose 20lbs but then I put 40lbs back on. It's very frustrating. Sorry I don't have encouraging words or help on how to boost your metabolism I just wanted to let you know you weren't alone. Keep your head up.
  • kikibruce
    Options
    When i origionally had my levels checked my doc told me that symptoms speak as loud as levels do. My levels were in high norms but my symptoms were on point and i have nodules all over my thyroid. I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos disease and i still believe my meds arent right after moving from 50 to 88 to 100 to 125 in one year on meds.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting my research on Hypothyroidism, I also have nodules, but my levels are always normal. But after 9 years I'm finally seeing an endocrinologist. Everything I have read said you should get your levels tested every 6 months, and all levels not just the T3 like my normal doctors have been doing. I show many symptoms, that I didn't even know were symptoms! And there are different medications you can take, maybe try switching and see if that helps?
  • smcclaycouffer
    smcclaycouffer Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The dr might have to up your meds. I'm at .200 and I too have a nodule that I have to get checked for cancer once a year.
  • kikibruce
    Options
    Yea one nodule is way more worrisome than many. my thyroid looks like a cheetah literally. i wish they would up my meds im always so tired.