Over on protein/fiber?

Options
Okay, it seems obvious why I would not want to go over on fat or carbs or sodium, but why is it bad to be in the red zone on protein or fiber?

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It's not bad at all.
  • JenniferTasso
    JenniferTasso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Too much protein can make you constipated....however if you eat more fiber, you should be O.K.....More protein increases blood flow to the kidneys
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's not. The goals are there so you can try to get to them. Some folks don't get enough, but you can never get too much fiber.
  • JenniferTasso
    JenniferTasso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    But no, nothing wrong with it, like Russell said
  • HunnyLuvsJorge
    HunnyLuvsJorge Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing, especially about the fiber. I often eat a grapefruit and it's about 90% of my total daily intake. It never dawned to me that too much fiber would be a bad thing.
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I'm almost always over on protein even by mid afternoon - and I don't even eat much meat! I prefer a lower carb/lower sugar diet which means to get my calories I'm going over on protein - but a of it is from whole grains, nuts, and dairy. I figure it can't be bad...
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    If you go over on anything, the numbers will turn red, even if it won't hurt you, such as protein, fiber, vitamins, etc. Don't worry about going over in these as you'd have to go over a lot over many days to see an adverse side effects.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    i always go over on protein and fiber on purpose. protein helps your muscles.
  • cherbil3
    cherbil3 Posts: 6
    Options
    I belong to Metabolic Research Center.... they have us match up a carb with a protein at meals.... also I drink an protein powder or protein concentrate mixed with 8 oz water three times a day.... it kinda helps balance and "eat up" the carbs u ate... those drinks are a total of 45 grams of protein alone each day.....................i have lost 61 pounds with that program so far....
  • sherbkersman
    sherbkersman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My trainers on our biggest loser program have us eating 20-25 g of protein every 3 hours and 30-35 for men.
    If you are working out you are building muscle and need more protein.
    If you eat more than this, the protein will turn to fat.
  • JoinerMaus
    Options
    Thanks! I was so confused. It's good to know that being in the red on those isn't bad.
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Because I follow the Primal/Paleo diet, I tend to go well over my 'allotted' protein as well as fat as I eat things like lean meats, raw nuts/seeds/full fat dairy such as my favorite, FAGE greek yogurt. My carbs are usually way under because I don't do grains.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Here' my blog post on the myths of high protein

http://spikediet.blogspot.com/2011/02/myths-of-high-protein-diet.html

Basically because it was discovered that if you have kidney damage you can't process protein very well. This made some people believe protein caused kidney damage but that just is not true.