crazy good pot pie

abyt42
abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
edited September 24 in Recipes
Let me preface this by saying I don't normally like pot pie because I don't like pie crust, and usually pot pie fillings are a little bland. However, I've been sick as a dog this week, and wanted some comforting, easy food for dinner (and didn't want to go to the store).

So: I made a curried pea and potato filling (wildly adapted from The Vegetarian Times cookbook's "Curried Squash in a Roti"), divided the filling into 6 ramekins, rolled out a sheet of puff pastry until it was very thin and cut circles 1/2 wider than the ramekins, slapped them on as lids, and baked them at 400 degrees F until the pastry was puffed and browned.

Awesome! The filling is 147 calories per serving. 1/6 a sheet of puff pastry is 170 (which is what I entered, even though I threw away some of the sheet.) And I can't imagine ever trying to make pot pie with a standard pie crust again.....

I'm also trying to figure out which other recipes I could use as a filling. Lentil curry?

Replies

• daliberti
    daliberti Posts: 15 Member
    Can you post the recipe for the filling? It sounds really good!
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Sounds great. I LOVE pot pie. I make them from scratch, so I'm always looking for a lower cal recipe! Thanks!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    yum
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    You had me at puff pastry, LOL! Sounds amazing!
  • Norty7
    Norty7 Posts: 9
    Would love the recipe for this :)
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Yes, please post the recipe! It sounds delish.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    1.5 tsp canola oil
    3 toes garlic, minced
    1 medium onion, diced
    4 C cubed russet potatoes (small cubes)
    dash crushed red pepper
    2 C water
    2 T curry powder
    1/2 T ground cumin
    1/4 t salt
    1/2 t black pepper
    1 C fresh or frozen green peas

Saute onion and garlic in a large pan until soft. Add potatoes, water, red pepper flakes, curry powder, cumin, salt & pepper. Cook until potatoes are tender and a great deal of the moisture is evaporated or absorbed. Stir in the peas and heat through. Remove from heat.

147 calories per serving (6 servings)
This discussion has been closed.