Running Blues...

Options
I just recently started running on a treadmill, and have officially signed up for my first 5K! Yay... however I am really starting to ache in all my joints: my hips, my knee, ankles.. even some pain in my shins. My question is at what point is the pain too much to be running with? I don't want to do more damage by "pushing through the pain" but by the same token I don't really want to back off- I am just starting to build a little endurance and it is really helping me lose weigh, but being the weight I am, I can't help but wonder if I am putting too much stress on my body? Any thoughts?

Replies

• trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you continue to feel pain, especially in the joints, a day or two after you run, you definitely need to back off. You also might find that you are running with an unnatural gait on the treadmill. I simply can't run for any length of time on a treadmill because I just don't run the same as I do in the "real world."
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Do you have proper fitting running shoes?
  • hschiesher
    Options
    Yay! Congrats on signing up for your first 5K! Boo...to feeling sore. First thing I would look at are your shoes. Make sure you have shoes with plenty of heel support...especially if you are experiencing shin splints. For shin splints, do toe raises and ice for about 20 minutes a night...you can ice massage them by freezing water in a dixie cup and then rolling the frozen dixie cup up and down your shins....you can do this while watching TV and it should really help with that pain. I do know that treadmills can be very hard on joints...if possible, move your running outside...stay in the grass as much as possible...if you have to choose between the road and sidewalk...choose the road...it is actually softer than the sidewalk. Just make sure to run toward traffic so you can see when a vehicle is coming and move out of the way if need be. Those areas are common for soreness when just beginning running. Make sure you are progressing your distances slowly....no more than about 5% mileage increase in a week. If you need to, start with a run/walk routine. I hope all of that helps you out! I love running, nothing makes me feel better and stronger than when I can accomplish a new distance or a better time! Good luck with your upcoming 5K!!!
  • beeckda
    beeckda Posts: 8
    Options
    I too have this same problem...of course running shoes was my first thought..but while I save up for running shoes I try this....I run 20 calories and then walk 20....seems to go by much quicker also. Good luck and let me know if there is any cure to the pains we are having.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    try going at a slower speed for a few days. Don't run multiple days in a row till you have been running for months. mix it up a bit, bike, use the elliptical, stair climber. If just starting out limit yourself to no more then every other day running.
    Try the C25K program so you don't push too hard.

I know myself, I had to learn these lessons the hard way. 200 is large enough at 5'7" that it is stressing your body. Take it easy but push yourself in other ways. Also ALWAYS stretch AFTER a run, calf, Quads, and Ham, you'll feel better.

Good luck and keep up the good work
  • emma44ny
    emma44ny Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I do. I have Asics kayanos... they're definitely the right size/ fit and great shoes. I am actually going to pick up another pair of running sneakers for the treadmill specifically because I want to use my Asics outside. I am going to pick up some Puma Vectana- they come highly reccomended and are super light weight (to aid in the fight against shin splints).
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem when I first started many years ago,I invested in a great pair of running shoes and had to really stretch before my workouts,that seemed to relieve a lot of my symtoms and the rest worked itself out after my legs warmed up a bit.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    gradually build up strength and flexibility, oh and find a great chiropractor who specializes in sports medicine :)

My chiro works on the athletes at BYU, so I feel like I'm in good hands, and can't ever say enough good things about him. He can fix ANYTHING!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    2 questions for you:

Are you using any sort of plan? One of the most common mistakes new runners make is trying to do too much too fast: either mileage, speed, or a combination of both. There is a program out there called Couch to 5k (C25K) that a lot of people use. I did not use it when I started running. But I did something similar on my own and just started running in segments of 2-3 minutes then alternated with walking for 2-3 minutes. I repeated that until I had run for a total of 15 minutes running. Each week I would run longer segements until I was running for 15 consecutive minutes: a little over a mile when I first started. From there I worked on building distance and speed. You can also find plenty of free training plans on the web. I also agree about running every other day or so.

You said you have good shoes, but did you specifically get fitted for them? Just because they are "good" shoes, they may not be what you need. If you are serious about running, go get fitted for shoes at a running store where they can analyze your gait and get you in the proper shoe. Your joints will thank you.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You should definitely try running less frequently. Search online for shin splint stretches to do beforehand, they help a lot. I only run once a week because I'm trying to better my 5k time and the rest of the week allows my body to heal. This definitely helps keep my joints happy!
  • emma44ny
    Options
    Yay! Congrats on signing up for your first 5K! Boo...to feeling sore. First thing I would look at are your shoes. Make sure you have shoes with plenty of heel support...especially if you are experiencing shin splints. For shin splints, do toe raises and ice for about 20 minutes a night...you can ice massage them by freezing water in a dixie cup and then rolling the frozen dixie cup up and down your shins....you can do this while watching TV and it should really help with that pain. I do know that treadmills can be very hard on joints...if possible, move your running outside...stay in the grass as much as possible...if you have to choose between the road and sidewalk...choose the road...it is actually softer than the sidewalk.

I have Asics and I use an arch insole because I have a low arch. The biggest problem is that I live in upstate NY and it won't stop SNOWING!! As soon as some of this stuff melts, I am SO outside! :tongue:
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    also besides your shoes you might want to think about taking some glucosamine. I can't run because of what i did to my knees when i was a kid. it really seams to help me.
  • emma44ny
    Options
    2 questions for you:

Are you using any sort of plan? One of the most common mistakes new runners make is trying to do too much too fast: either mileage, speed, or a combination of both. There is a program out there called Couch to 5k (C25K) that a lot of people use. I did not use it when I started running. But I did something similar on my own and just started running in segments of 2-3 minutes then alternated with walking for 2-3 minutes. I repeated that until I had run for a total of 15 minutes running. Each week I would run longer segements until I was running for 15 consecutive minutes: a little over a mile when I first started. From there I worked on building distance and speed. You can also find plenty of free training plans on the web. I also agree about running every other day or so.

You said you have good shoes, but did you specifically get fitted for them? Just because they are "good" shoes, they may not be what you need. If you are serious about running, go get fitted for shoes at a running store where they can analyze your gait and get you in the proper shoe. Your joints will thank you.

Yes, on a program. I have been doing the Couch to 5K type interval training and just in the last week have I been going a few miles at a clip...

I usually run every other day at MOST. So I'm not going every day or anything like that.

Yes, shoeswere fitted. I really do not think they are to blame, but I guess anything's possible.
  • BridgetDoss
    BridgetDoss Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree about proper shoes. I run half-marathons and I can always tell when my shins start hurting that I need new shoes. I spend at least $100 on shoes and get fitted for them. It may seem like an extravagance but it is so important. I then will buy cheaper workout clothes.

Do you not like walking? Might be better until you lose a little more! You could walk hills on the treadmill! That burns a lot of calories and is very challenging.

You're doing awesome!! Keep up the excellent work!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options

I do. I have Asics kayanos... they're definitely the right size/ fit and great shoes. I am actually going to pick up another pair of running sneakers for the treadmill specifically because I want to use my Asics outside. I am going to pick up some Puma Vectana- they come highly reccomended and are super light weight (to aid in the fight against shin splints).

See a podiatrist. He might identify a problem with pronation or supination in your feet and make orthodic inserts for your running shoes. This cured my issues with shin splints.

Also, as said earlier, make sure you don't run on consecutive days.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    2 questions for you:

Yes, on a program. I have been doing the Couch to 5K type interval training and just in the last week have I been going a few miles at a clip...

I usually run every other day at MOST. So I'm not going every day or anything like that.

Yes, shoeswere fitted. I really do not think they are to blame, but I guess anything's possible.

Slow way down ---- maybe do each week on C25K twice as slow as possible. Stretch out afterwards, run only three days a week, not five --- swim or do yoga on the other days --- Walk/Run, check out all the advice by Hal Higdon - he's awesome!