breastfeeding and lose weight

Options
everybody says during the breastfeeding I can burn some calories, but I do not think so ! is someone feedind her infant with breast milk and lose wait ?

Replies

• bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Breastfeeding burns 500 calories per day according to doctors. If your normal goal is 1200 calories per day to lose 1 lb/week, you can eat 1700 because the breastfeeding burns that extra 500. It is kind of like "exercise calories" where it is extra calories burned and it's up to you to "eat back" those calories or not.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My wife is. She's been running and whatnot lately and has started to lose some weight and she is still brestfeeding. Although she is getting close to weaning our son off breast milk because he's 8 months old now.
  • mamawildbear
    mamawildbear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think you can lose weight breastfeeding but the other poster is right. If you're overeating, it would be very easily to negate the calories burnt breastfeeding.
  • rebeccaS85
    rebeccaS85 Posts: 141
    Options
    That is what they say...but I think everyone is different. I have been breastfeeding for the past 7 months and have not lost any extra weight, and I am not eating those extra 500 calories. I do have a condition that stores extra fat and makes it hard to lose weight. But if you are eating healthy, then you shouldn't be too worried. :smile:
  • adcoffman
    adcoffman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am! I am losing it very slowly but I am losing! I work out at least 3 times a week and I am carefully watching what I eat. I make sure I eat plenty but at the same time my calories are always in my mind. Just start slow and if anything changes with your milk or if your baby doesn't seem as happy back off a little. Listen to your body.
  • gamizz
    gamizz Posts: 24
    Options
    I am trying to eating healty and I am not eating those extra 500 calories, but it is still difficult to lose weight !
  • indigo_sue
    indigo_sue Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I nursed for 18 months and I went back to my pre-baby weight (175 lbs on a 5'10" frame) - I was doing quite a bit of walking and rowing off and on. I really didn't focus too much on losing weight, rather I was trying to feel "fit" so I could walk, run, go up and down stairs without feeling out of breath.

When my son was about 14 months my rowing coach told me the biggest fat lie - she said that I would not be able to row fast until I quit nursing. I gave her hell for saying that, because there is a huge myth that people cannot be fit while breastfeeding. You absolutely CAN!

I'd say being active is the best thing you can do for yourself and your baby!!