Why do I eat sooo much when I'm sick?????

Options
Does anyone else have this problem???? When I"m sick...I eat. I've been sick all weekend...and have been grazing ever since. Good thing is...it's mostly Weight Watchers stuff and when I got on the scale this morning...I'm NOT up since my Friday weigh in. But why do I eat when I'm sick?? Most people lose weight when they're sick...but oh no...NOT ME!!!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat when you're sick. It helps feed your body so that it can fight off the illness.
  • monkeyboy881
    Options
    i eat like a horse when i am sick i never thought to ask why
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    bcuz it helps your immune system to start whooping some tail....your body knows what it needs when you are sick, it'll let you know... :)
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel the same way when I am sick and it is kinda weird...lol but makes sense that your body may need the energy to fight the illness. I think that as long as you're still able to make the best choices you can, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I hope you feel better soon!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Really depends on what the problem is with me! Things like a cold etc are sure to make me want more to eat. Opposite for tummy issues though, lol. If I have anything that gives me a high temperature I lose my appetite. But then it also takes me about 4 days to get over 1 day of being ill. Eating more is the way to go when you are able.

I'm a big believer in listening to your body. We are designed to 'know' what and when to eat. Which is precisely why after a few days of clean, healthy eating and mega exercise, I eat chocolate. My body needs calories and who am I to argue?? :-D
  • imogeneee
    imogeneee Posts: 10
    Options
    i recently had strep throat, so couldn't physically swallow much haha. lost a few kg but gained most of it back.

woke up this morning with a sore throat. am half hoping it worsens and half hoping to get better immediately. (i kind of need my voice for my part time job as a receptionist ahaha)
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think it's a very primitive instinct, your bod wants to mend itself and it needs more nutrients/energy to do so...its a b*gger tho if you keep getting repeat infections! winters are bad for weight loss in my book - can't wait for summer!
  • danagardunio
    danagardunio Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know that I tend to want to eat comfort foods when I'm sick to try and make yourself feel better. That's probably a reason why. Also, when you are sick lying around the house, you're not occupied doing other things.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, and hungry, I add in extra calories under exercise to take me up to maintenance. I'm not going to make myself iller by trying to lose weight while sick.