Metabolism and Spices

Options
ShonzG
ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
Hi, I was wondering if it is true that if you eat spicy food it increases your metabolism and thus increases the rate at which you can lose weight.... I'm just asking because I like spicy food and I need another excuse to eat it!

Replies

• michaelsdavies
    michaelsdavies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yep, spicy food affects the rate of your metabolism, just as drinking cold water does, warm climates, etc. etc. The point I'm trying to make is that it does help, but it's not magic, and won't be the difference in losing weight and not losing - it'll just help, a little. I love spicy food too - go nuts
  • thomasmarnold
    Options
    From WebMD

Spice Up Your Meals
    Spicy foods contain chemical compounds that kick the metabolism into high gear. Eating a tablespoon of chopped red or green chili pepper can temporarily boost your metabolic rate by 23 percent. Some studies suggest the effect only lasts about half an hour, but if you eat spicy foods often, the benefits may add up. For a quick boost, spice up pasta dishes, chili, and stews with red-pepper flakes

If you google Spicy foods and metabolism you will find a wealth of information on the subject. :o)