The 3 mini-goals LENT challenge: starting Wednesday 9th Marc

CarthagoDelendaEst
CarthagoDelendaEst Posts: 154
edited September 24 in Motivation and Support
Hey everyone,

So as most of you know, Lent starts this Wednesday (9th March) Even if you are not religious, I feel this is a great time to set some goals to achieve. If you are like me and not cut out for fasting, then join this challenge!!

So it's pretty simple: Pick three mini-goals that you would like to achieve over the 40 day period.

Examples include a set amount of calories to be burned over the 40 day period, hours spent exercising, cutting out a certain type of food or eating below a certain numbers of carbs/sodium/whatever, to lose a certain amount of weight...the list goes on!

Sundays aren't traditionally held as part of the 40 day period, so if you like, you can have Sunday off, but I personally am going to try and stand firm for every day until Saturday 24th April 2011.

My three goals are:

1) Cut out red meat, wheat and most dairy (especially cow's milk)

Now, I don't eat red meat all that much, so I'm kinda cheating on this on, but my mother pointed out that it is the done thing during Lent, so what the hey? And I like vegetarian sausages so I'm sorted there. As far as wheat and dairy are concerned, I feel this is much more interesting and to a certain extent, more challenging than say, chocolate. I rely on wheat and dairy quite a lot; cereal and milk for most breakfasts and milk for protein shakes, I consume quite a lot of milk. I also love bread and pittas, but I do think that I may have a slight intolerance to wheat and dairy products, so this will not only test my willpower and perhaps simultaneously aid my weight loss, but also allow me to see whether I have an intolerance or not, whilst finding and trying new alternatives. So no pasta, wheat based cereals or breads, yoghurt, cow's milk etc. I'm not counting eggs as dairy though.

2) Lose at least 7lbs

Quite simple, I have 40 days in which I would like to lose half a stone. I'm kinda hoping cutting out wheat and dairy will aid this.

3) Drink only water and herbal tea

So far on my MFP journey, I've cut out most fizzy drinks, bar Coke Zero which I have every once in a while, only diluted with water mind. But, I haven't been drinking plain water...I've been a bit naughty and cheated a little by drinking heavily diluted low cal squash. Now this stuff isn't great for me as it has all sorts of additives, colourings and the dreaded aspartame...but I HATE plain water. 40 days of the stuff just might be enough time for me to get used to it. This one is going to be a toughie. And so, no more Coke Zero and low cal squash, just herbal teas (I LOVE peppermint tea!) and good ol' fashioned plain water.

So, please join me on my challenge. It is the first challenge I've ever created! It will start on Wednesday 9th March 2011 and go on for 40 days. We will check in here for motivation and support.

P.S. If you are unlike me and would like to fast, by all means, join this challenge! You will be inspirational to us!

Replies

• realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Heh, I just posted a list to my blog a few minutes ago. Great minds think alike I guess.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/realrayne10

Basically, I would like to eliminate fast food, cupcakes, and drinking calories. I also set a goal to lose 10lbs during Lent.
  • I'm giving up wheat! Decided that about 2 weeks ago..I agree..it will be much harder for me to do this than it would be chocolate. Takes much more meal planning but I'm sure I can do it. Ummmm....Sunday will be my day to have it tho...LOL...Sunday is my cheat day anyway so I mite as well go all out
    FYI for you giving up milk...have you ever had Almond Milk....i get it Unsweetened plain and it's pretty good. only 40 calories and no dairy! I luv it!
    Good luck on your Lent challenge...WE CAN DO THIS!!
  • Thank you for joining my challenge. I've had a look at the blog, awesome goals!
    FYI for you giving up milk...have you ever had Almond Milk....i get it Unsweetened plain and it's pretty good. only 40 calories and no dairy! I luv it!

I've never had it, but I started eating almonds about 5 days ago and they are my new best friend! Someone else told me about almond milk not too long ago, I've found it in one health food shop but it's SO expensive. I may have to give in and buy it to try it. I have a litre of soya milk ready for Wednesday; the last time I tried soya milk I HATED it but that was a few years ago now, so I will try it again. I need to use up the cow's milk I have left in the fridge before then :-)

Thank you for the tip! I had no idea it was that low in calories!
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    I'm in! Will post goals later...still deciding...
  • LurayneMarie
    LurayneMarie Posts: 342 Member
    Hi! I'd like to join this challenge, I never succeeded in surviving the full 40days of lent before so Im determined to give this one my best shot!!

My 3 goals for 40 days:

1.To drink 100oz of water daily (12 glasses) to help kick this water retention business in the butt!
    2.Keep my sodium intake under 2300mg daily (again to get rid of water retention)
    3.Exercise at least 4 times a week for 1 hour

I dont know how much I hope to lose in these 40days but I do have a family wedding on April 29th so I want to be a slim as I can for that!!!

Thanks for starting this challenge!! Best of luck everyone! :happy:
  • Yay! This is brilliant, thank YOU for joining the challenge!

humpalc, I look forward to seeing what you decide!

LurayneM, lovely to see you here!
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    OK, here goes....

1) By the end of lent I will be able to do my 5K in under 40 minutes
    2) To do 10 REAL push-ups
    3) To fast once a week - from after supper Thurs PM to supper time Friday PM - not as a weight loss gimmick, but as a tool to figure this body of mine out - when I want to eat and why - what hungry REALLY feels like -

oh, and to actually remember it's lent and not eat meat on a day I shouldn't - LOL (that was so much easier back when I lived with Mom all those years ago....)
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    I really started this journey three weeks ago even though my profile says I joined last year. I've been looking for something to join but everytime something I see looks good they've actually started the challenge a while ago. So this will be perfect. My goals
    1) Exercise 5 times a week for 45 minutes
    2) Drink 64 oz. of water a day
    3) Keep sodium under 2300 mg daily
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    OK I'm in:

1) exercise every day for at least 20 mins
    2) lose 5lbs
    3) no chocolate
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    actually I should do a hard one really so:
    1) exercise ever day for at least 20 minutes
    2) no chocolate
    3) NO COFFEE<<<the killer!!!!!!!!!! I am an addict!!!!
  • Welcome kent4j and busygirl1 (hey there!)

Good luck with your goals!

humpalc - your goals seem great! Good luck with it!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    I've really been struggling with what to give up or what to do for Lent, so this is a great challenge for me...thx.

I'll get 3 mini-goals and post them soon...:bigsmile:

I really like humpalc's comments!
    OK, here goes....

1) By the end of lent I will be able to do my 5K in under 40 minutes
    2) To do 10 REAL push-ups
    3) To fast once a week - from after supper Thurs PM to supper time Friday PM - not as a weight loss gimmick, but as a tool to figure this body of mine out - when I want to eat and why - what hungry REALLY feels like -

oh, and to actually remember it's lent and not eat meat on a day I shouldn't - LOL (that was so much easier back when I lived with Mom all those years ago....)

Mom had it right :flowerforyou:
    mj
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    I really like this will need to figure mine out. Will post them by tomorrow.
  • kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    My name is kristen user name kris1085
    my 3 mini goals are
    1. To exercise every day for at least 45 minutes
    2. Had set a goal for myself to be under 200 by april 1st was at 213.5 friday and i will deffently be under 200 by easter !
    3. to be under my calories every day !
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Great! I really love the idea of adding something in at Lent as well. I'm already doing the no-scale challenge for Lent so I need to stay focused on NSVs! I set some goals at the beginning of the year and 2 of my mini goals are focused on 2 of those that I need to get in gear on.

My mini goals are:
    1) Exercise at leat 3x a week (doing Conservative Couch to 5K, which is 3 workouts a week so this should help me stay on track there!)
    2) Get in 8 glasses of water/day at least 5 days a week.
    3) Take an hour just for me once a week, whether that is to take a leisurely walk around the block, do some journaling to try to figure out some of the more emotional parts of weight issues, or do some bookstore browsing (a sure way for me to relax).
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    my three health-related mini-goals are:
    1) to liquid fast each wednesday (allow 600 calories)
    2) to do the 30 day shred and at least three miles with leslie/outside daily
    3) to see some definition in my upper arms (add more resistance training)

my main goals are to give up my facebook time and go back to knitting once a week. i have a sweater i want to finally finish. lol.
  • sleight119
    sleight119 Posts: 125
    To walk 3 miles 6 days aweek
    to do the shred it with waights 3 times a week
    and drop 10 lbs
  • Welcome everyone and good luck on your goals, they all sound fantastic!! Here it is 11:27pm and Lent is just around the corner. Hope you are ready!

If anyone else would like to join, now is your chance!

I've eaten so badly the past week and a half, I think this is the time to go back to basics. Good luck and please remember to check in guys!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Good luck everyone!
  • OK everyone! Tis the first day of Lent and our challenge participants are as followed:

CarthagoDelendaEst
    realrayne10
    kkremegirl
    humpalc
    LuranyeM
    kent4j
    busygirl1
    hooah_mj
    fancy_nancy2
    kris1085
    melodyg
    godblessourhome
    sleight119
    Dbow0207
    ayj73

Here is to success over the next 40 days! Good luck to all and remember to check in!
This discussion has been closed.