Remind me how bad even diet soda is please

Options
So I can stop drinking it already.

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    One of my friend who's a marathon runner tried to tell me about diet soda the other day. I told her I know it's bad but I love it. :)
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I cant quit it. I love it to much lol
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Momma says diet soda is the devil....
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    How about this: My step dad drank 2 2 liters of diet coke a day for years. He died of a heart attack at 48.

Diet soda is TERRIBLE for you.
  • nquirico
    nquirico Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    even though there is no sugar in diet soda, our bodies have 'adapted' so well to our s#!%&y diet that studies are showing that we release insulin even in the presence of 'fake' sugars... this means that when your brain tastes something sweet, insulin gets released. Insulin in the blood stream aids in laying down fat. So, yeah, you can still get fat by drinking diet soda. If that isn't enough motivation, consider the mineral loss in your bones. Keep drinking soda (diet or otherwise) and you will be fat with weak bones... how's that? helpful?
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Any carbonated drinks will leach calcium and other minerals out of your system so while your busy making sure your getting your nutrition right, the drinks are quietly undoing all your good work.

Plus they make you bloated, disturb your body's water balance and are full of awful chemicals like Aspartame (which causes bladder weakness and there are studies linking it to cancer although I'm not sure how reputable they are).

I know it's hard, I'm a recovering Pesi max addict but it's so worth giving up.
  • ThomasBihn
    Options
    A friend from work was having chronic stomach pains a couple years back. His doctor recommended he quit diet soda and his stomach pains went away and never returned. I can't even hope to repeat the terminology, but the carbonation was what was messing him up. There have also been studies linking the artificial sweetener aspertame to cancer in mice.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Are they sure it was cuz it was diet soda that he had a heart attack? That sound like an awful lot of caffeine to me. I limit my intake to 1 or 2 per day.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say..........I am a diet Mountain Dew girl and probably always will be. :frown:

Oh, well...........:drinker:
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I quit diet soda a long time ago, so on the rare occasions that I drink it, I immediately notice what it's doing to me. I know different studies say different things, but I can tell you that, for me, diet soda:

1. blows me up like a puffer fish (which adds water weight, but also makes it uncomfortable to work out!)
    2. makes me crave sugar and carbs (don't know if it's physiological or psychological -- but does that matter?)
    3. makes me tired (again -- harder to work out .... and more likely to make poor food choices)

I absolutely understand how hard it is to quit (I used to drink 5 to 6 cans of diet coke per day) -- but I promise you that it is completely worth it.

Oh - cutting out the diet soda makes more room for water, too! Which is great for your metabolism and your skin & hair!
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    How about this: My step dad drank 2 2 liters of diet coke a day for years. He died of a heart attack at 48.

Diet soda is TERRIBLE for you.

Sorry for your loss, and you know for a fact that it was the diet coke that caused his heart attack. I drink it everyday and not just 1 or 2 cans and I don't have the effects that some of these people are saying. I think each person is different. I will not stop drinking it, in fact I'm going to go and have one right now for my break.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I've also heard from body builders that the carbon dioxide can break down muscle fiber. Does anyone know if this is true though?
  • bullmastifflover
    bullmastifflover Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels "Master Your Metabolism"

pg. 102 "A huge retrospective study of ninety-five hundred people over nine years found that eating meat and fried foods and drinking diet soda were the three most prominent risk factors of whether people developed metabolic syndrome. Compared with people who drank none, those who drank just one can of diet soda a day had a 34 percent greater incidence of metabolic symdrome."

pg. 103 " Studies on animals give us a clue to what's happening here. Researchers at Purdue University found that when animals were fed yogurt with saccharin they later consumed more calories, gained more weight, and put on more body fat than animals that were fed yogurt sweetened with glucose, a natural sugar with the same number of calories-fifteen per teason-as table sugar."

pg. 104 "One more plausible explanation why artificial sweeteners make us fat might be the fact that aspartame, also known as NutraSweet, is an excitotoxin, a chemical that may cause permanent damage to our brain's appetite center."

I used to work with in a Chemistry lab at a university with postdocs & PhD students and those chemists refused to drink diet sodas. Apparently the body doesn't know how to handle fake sugar...so I'll stick with real sugar.
  • UmbraForzare
    Options
    Personally I hate the stuff.
    The Aspartame (and whatever else they stick in it) leaves the nastiest metallic taste in my mouth (and has anyone else noticed that it makes whatever you eat while/after drinking a diet soda taste really off??), it bloats me, makes me tired (and cranky as well!) and gives me gas.

Reason enough for me to steer well clear!

Saying that, I was never really all that keen on regular soda either.....
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    According to a report released on February 9, 2011 daily consumption of diet sodas have been linked to an increased risk of stroke and heart attack and according to information found on Livestrong.com the side affects of aspartame (the artificial sweetner found in diet sodas) include "headaches, weight gain, rashes, fatigue, irritability, heart palpitations, dizziness, insomnia and seizures".

I hope this helps :)
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm a long-time Diet Dr. Pepper addict. I've read about the dangers of aspartame, caffeine, etc. but when you're an addict none of that stuff matters. I've tried to quit several times but failed. I notice the only thing that curbs my cravings is exercise. And that is because I crave water when I've been working out. And after I drink a few glasses of water I feel too full to drink soda!
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Contains aspartame which is rat poison. Puts holes in your brain. Enjoy.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    even though there is no sugar in diet soda, our bodies have 'adapted' so well to our s#!%&y diet that studies are showing that we release insulin even in the presence of 'fake' sugars... this means that when your brain tastes something sweet, insulin gets released. Insulin in the blood stream aids in laying down fat. So, yeah, you can still get fat by drinking diet soda. If that isn't enough motivation, consider the mineral loss in your bones. Keep drinking soda (diet or otherwise) and you will be fat with weak bones... how's that? helpful?

wow! i don't drink soda regularly any more... after a 30 year habit! it takes a little getting used to, but i find water & tea are sufficient now
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Also it makes you hungry. They've done studies on this but I can only go on my own experience and my experience says it's true. If there is junk food in the house I won't eat it unless there is a DDP to go with it. That's not really a conscious choice, it just doesn't sound good without a DDP.