Asthma/Heart Rate

Options
Does having asthma make your heart rate higher than any normal person without asthma when exercising?

Not sure if my calorie burn is fair -

Replies

• mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Does having asthma make your heart rate higher than any normal person without asthma when exercising?

Not sure if my calorie burn is fair -

I wondered that about my saturday day out with the HRM on. . .
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you use an inhaler before exercising, that makes your heart rate higher.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    so does having difficulty to breath :P
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    If you use an inhaler before exercising, that makes your heart rate higher.

that is true but I wouldnt take too much notice of it and log it as normal exercise. I dont add any extra to mine
  • lowpost42
    lowpost42 Posts: 49
    Options
    As an asthmatic I just take what the HRM gives me.

My asthma is well controlled (read: I take my meds and don't rely on a rescue inhaler); and my resting heartrate is ~55 bpm. Up over 150 is where I feel really stressed, and can keep my heartrate sustained at ~140 on a bike pretty well.

I don't know that I'd agree with 'artificially inflated' - it's not like a rescue inhaler also inflates your maximum heartrate!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is higher than average and an awful lot higher if i take my ventolin immediately before exercise so I wouldnt trust the calorie burn to be true. I've asked on here and other forums but no one can give me a decent answer on what my true burn would be and for that reason I rarely log exercise
  • lowpost42
    lowpost42 Posts: 49
    Options
    My resting heart rate is higher than average and an awful lot higher if i take my ventolin immediately before exercise so I wouldn't trust the calorie burn to be true. I've asked on here and other forums but no one can give me a decent answer on what my true burn would be and for that reason I rarely log exercise

From a simple physiological standpoint, does the reason behind an elevated heartrate matter whether it's drug or exercise induced? I'm not saying I have an answer, more along the lines of "thinking out loud".

For instance, I long 45 to 60 minutes of cardio. I don't think my ventolin would be the reason why my heartrate stays elevated the entire time. It may be a "boost" to be in the "cardio zone", but it doesn't create sustain.

Perhaps the question is: What creates caloric burn? Is it simply elevated heartrate or is it about the movement of the body?
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled on this looking for answers to this myself, well somewhat. I work out with two girlfriends of mine. We are all working at the same output for effort and are all the same size and in the same shape, I have exercise induced asthma and my heartrate is generally 159-175 when theirs is 130-150. I do know that. What I am looking to find out is because I have a higher heart rate due to the asthma, am I truly burning more calories because my body is working harder or is it a false reading because my body could work harder but my lungs just suck?
  • shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Heart rate and Basal metabolic rate are different. Energy needs are based on basal metabolic rate-- the # of kcals burned at rest. So your kcals should not be much different than most
  • jenslife82
    Options
    I just stumbled on this looking for answers to this myself, well somewhat. I work out with two girlfriends of mine. We are all working at the same output for effort and are all the same size and in the same shape, I have exercise induced asthma and my heartrate is generally 159-175 when theirs is 130-150. I do know that. What I am looking to find out is because I have a higher heart rate due to the asthma, am I truly burning more calories because my body is working harder or is it a false reading because my body could work harder but my lungs just suck?
    You should post a forum for this all by its self and see what u get. I just remembered that my hr was supposed to be higher too bc of cigarettes. But it's about the same without them. Also our calories were about the same tonight right? I'll have to go back and look!
  • millybug16
    Options
    I am wondering if it's accurate to use the regular calculation, not because of the level of elevation during exercise as lowpost42 suggested but because resting heart rate would surely make the calculation inaccurate since it's reason for being higher is not related to fitness level? - I'm not worried about calories burned though, I just want to know how I should be calculating for maximum heart rate??