starvation mode???

Options
My mfp says that I need to be eating at least 1200 kcal a day or I I'll be going into starvation mode... Is 1200 for everyone? I'm 5 foot tall and weigh 115 pounds. It cant be the same for me and somoene, for example, who is 6 foot tall and weighs 250 lbs, can it? Its got me confused... help please?

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    everyone needs to consume at least 1200 cals per day to stay fit. doesn't matter how tall you are or anything else.
  • Brianmcvay
    Options
    Yes, I believe it is the same for everyone, Mine says the same thing and I am 6ft and 292.2 lbs.
    I think that it is simply the average minimum that an adult body needs to sustain itself.
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1330 cals.
    I'm 5'8 and 140 the last time i checked...but its been a minute.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    1200 is a general baseline number for women only but a good one to go by (this number is set by nutritionists and doctors). Some might be a little over and some might be a little under. You won't gain weight eating 1200, you will lose weight. And you are already at a healthy weight so it will all that much harder to lose weight. When dieting and exercise we lose fat and muscle mass. Make sure your goals are realistic and set to lose .5lb per week. Eat your exercise calories which is very, very important when already at a healthy weight. Make sure your NET calories are 1200 or more.

Check out the links in my signature. Especially the one labeled "Relatively light and trying to get leaner". Your focus will need to be on heavy weight lifting (you won't bulk up) and less on cardio. But still need to do cardio.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe it is the same for everyone, Mine says the same thing and I am 6ft and 292.2 lbs.
    I think that it is simply the average minimum that an adult body needs to sustain itself.

Actually for men it is a little higher (notice how MFP doesn't account for that?) I think 1600 but not 100% positive.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My mfp says that I need to be eating at least 1200 kcal a day or I I'll be going into starvation mode... Is 1200 for everyone? I'm 5 foot tall and weigh 115 pounds. It cant be the same for me and somoene, for example, who is 6 foot tall and weighs 250 lbs, can it? Its got me confused... help please?

You probably wont go into starvation mode at your size if you are only under by 100 or so, but that being said since you are a healthy weight your daily caloric deficit should not be large. I'm not sure what you weekly loss goal is but I would recommend 0.5lbs/week to a maximum of 1 lb/week. It is only safe to try and lose more than 1lb/week if you are obese and have a lot to lose. It is also difficult to get the required nutrition (protein, fats, vitamins, minerals) on a diet of less than 1200 calories.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    1200 is a general baseline number for women only but a good one to go by (this number is set by nutritionists and doctors). Some might be a little over and some might be a little under. You won't gain weight eating 1200, you will lose weight. And you are already at a healthy weight so it will all that much harder to lose weight. When dieting and exercise we lose fat and muscle mass. Make sure your goals are realistic and set to lose .5lb per week. Eat your exercise calories which is very, very important when already at a healthy weight. Make sure your NET calories are 1200 or more.

Check out the links in my signature. Especially the one labeled "Relatively light and trying to get leaner". Your focus will need to be on heavy weight lifting (you won't bulk up) and less on cardio. But still need to do cardio.
    Just read that. Great post! Thanks :flowerforyou: