Looking for Motivation From Moms

savimal
savimal Posts: 37
edited September 24 in Motivation and Support
Hello Moms out there

I am a mom of a 3 year old, desperately trying to lose those last brutal 20 lbs. My only motivation right now is to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight, before we start trying for our second

My question for you all moms out there is have any of you had success with losing the weight, then go through pregnancy again and then been able to lose or keep off the weight after another baby without a lot of struggle, just sticking to maintenance lifestyle (diet and exercise).

Any success stories/tips will really help me to keep going. I hate to think all the efforts I put in now and lose the weight, only to gain it back and go through all the struggle once again after the second baby.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• savimal
    Anyone?
  • The best thing I found (and all I can stick to as a working mother of two) is just walk, walk, walk. Take stairs when you can, park farther away from store than you normally would, take the long way from the train to office, things like that. With a toddler, it's hard to fit exercise in, so finding exercise in these little ways may help.

You (and your daughter) look great in your profile pic. Good luck.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    i didn't have any luck losing my weight between my 2 kids and put on basically the same amount with both kids. So i'm only getting onto that project now that i've finished bearing babies.

my advice would be to lose the weight and keep fit rather than going through gaining again. i failed miserably in that and just allowed pregnancy to be an excuse to eat what i wanted and now I'm paying the price. My weight loss goal seems like mount everest at times, and it's easy to get discouraged because it's just a big project.

best of luck, i hope you can keep yourself in control for your 2nd pregnancy when you get there.
  • savimal
    Thanks so much. :smile:
  • savimal

You (and your daughter) look great in your profile pic. Good luck.

Thanks for the compliments.
  • tlschlp
    tlschlp Posts: 54
    Personally, I think this question depends on you. I have friends who were back to their pre-pregnancy weight before they left the hospital with their newborn! Me? Never that lucky!

I gained 50lbs with my first child! It took me about 2 years to get rid of almost all that weight. But, I was younger and more active back then. I walked a lot and held down 2 jobs for a while.

My second pregnancy six years later, I gained 75 lbs! That was 15 years ago and I'm still trying to lose the weight (only 25 left to go). Now, I grant you, I had twins my second time, and there were some complications with the delivery. But, with those complications and my family history, the weight was a lot harder to get off.

I would seriously take a look at what you've done since you had your first. Were you eating right throughout your pregnancy and after? Were you active during and after your pregnancy to help get the weight down? How have other family members handled getting rid of the extra pregnancy weight? I feel all these need to be taken into account.

But, if you have set down a solid foundation for healthy eating and regular exercise, and continue both during your pregnancy, you might still have some weight to lose but it shouldn't be near as difficult as it would be if you weren't eating right and exercising. And, there are so many different types of workouts now designed for pregnant women (weren't around when I was pregnant!) that it should help you during your pregnancy so you don't have any complications.

Best of luck!

Trudy
  • savimal
    i didn't have any luck losing my weight between my 2 kids and put on basically the same amount with both kids. So i'm only getting onto that project now that i've finished bearing babies.

my advice would be to lose the weight and keep fit rather than going through gaining again. i failed miserably in that and just allowed pregnancy to be an excuse to eat what i wanted and now I'm paying the price. My weight loss goal seems like mount everest at times, and it's easy to get discouraged because it's just a big project.

best of luck, i hope you can keep yourself in control for your 2nd pregnancy when you get there.

Thanks for that. Yes my worst fear as well. I must say it is a luxury to be able to lose the weight between pregnancies and I am just lucky I am able to do it. Hearing from all the ladies, only helps me to keep going. Thank you for your kind words.
  • savimal
    Personally, I think this question depends on you. I have friends who were back to their pre-pregnancy weight before they left the hospital with their newborn! Me? Never that lucky!

I gained 50lbs with my first child! It took me about 2 years to get rid of almost all that weight. But, I was younger and more active back then. I walked a lot and held down 2 jobs for a while.

My second pregnancy six years later, I gained 75 lbs! That was 15 years ago and I'm still trying to lose the weight (only 25 left to go). Now, I grant you, I had twins my second time, and there were some complications with the delivery. But, with those complications and my family history, the weight was a lot harder to get off.

I would seriously take a look at what you've done since you had your first. Were you eating right throughout your pregnancy and after? Were you active during and after your pregnancy to help get the weight down? How have other family members handled getting rid of the extra pregnancy weight? I feel all these need to be taken into account.

But, if you have set down a solid foundation for healthy eating and regular exercise, and continue both during your pregnancy, you might still have some weight to lose but it shouldn't be near as difficult as it would be if you weren't eating right and exercising. And, there are so many different types of workouts now designed for pregnant women (weren't around when I was pregnant!) that it should help you during your pregnancy so you don't have any complications.

Best of luck!

Trudy

Great point Trudy. I wish I journalled well during my first pregnancy. All I can say is, I did not watch what i ate. and no exercises absolutely. Just gave into the bliss of being pregnant for the first time. I do have a family history of people not losing all the weight after babies, but that is mostly from lack of awareness that one CAN lose pregnancy weight however slow the process is.

I will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for your inputs
This discussion has been closed.