My first LONG RUN. Need advice.

Options
I have been invited on a long run, 25K. It's more of a walk/run as the people I am going with power walk. I can easily run 5 miles and have only 4 to 5 weeks to train for this particular endeavour. I'm fairly certain I can power walk 25K but I'm looking for reassurance from actual runners. The temp here will be chilly but not cold, possibly a little wet but there is no telling. Any advice on what to do to prep and what to bring along.
Thank you for any and all advice.

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You probably won't like my advice. 4-5 weeks is too short to add 10 miles to your training IMO. The rule is 10% per week or 1 mile to avoid overtraining or overuse injuries. I don't know anything about power walking, but in regards to running, you are setting yourself up for injury or muscle fatigue. You best case IMO would be to start pool running if you can to get your miles added up there that fast with least chance of injury.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it OK, especially if it is a walk run. I would suggest you train the way you guys will actually do the event, especially important if these folks are true power walkers. Walking involves a lot of different muscles than running does, so you'll need to train yourself to do both. Find out from the group (or get them to agree) on a run-walk schedule (e.g. 10 minutes running, 5 minutes walwking) then use that for your training.
  • Guinepig
    Guinepig Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was kinda expecting that advice. I have the option to call someone to pick me up if I overestemated my abilities. I'm going to work up slowly and stop if I feel discomfort. I'm not willing to hurt myself over a walk.

Thanks
  • Malinsfeet
    Malinsfeet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If your friends are really walk/running I think your fine. Just start increasing your mileage as feels comfortable. Then when you set a goal say 8 miles for the day, just try to finish no matter if you have to walk some and go from there. Then just have fun, it sounds like they are not too competitive. Good luck. Oh also try to fuel your body enough the day before long runs so you have the energy to push through.
  • SpartanHard
    SpartanHard Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Im not suggesting you actually try this but. There are people that complete marathons with zero training. You just have to be smart about it. If you are running 5 miles already you can do this.

Very interesting read here. http://andrewgertig.com/2011/01/how-to-hack-a-marathon-if-you-arent-a-runner/

Have fun!

*Disclaimer I accept no responsibility for your death or injury. upon reading my post you accept sole respoonsibility for your choices and actions and agree by reading my post that you will not hold me liable for your mistakes, injuries, or death.
  • Guinepig
    Options
    That was an interesting read. Makes me feel a bit more confident.
    Now as for what to bring. Cell phone, music, bandaids, water, gatorade, money, ID, power bar...anything else?
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you can do it, if you do a walk/run....but to do the total 25K without proper training will be harmful to you i.e. injuries! So pace yourself, time is limited I think, but mind over matter may be the way to get this one under your belt. Just take each mile after 10 steady...paceing is very much adviserable!

1. Do not buy running shoes for the race, wear one you have been training in (would help if good support and padded)
    2. Same goes for clothing - breathable running gear, nothing too restricted to the body, this is especially important with running pants, as can lead to chuffing!! so in other wards wear old faithful.
    3. Take water and some energy snacks....
    4. Enjoy the race. Good luck
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    That was an interesting read. Makes me feel a bit more confident.
    Now as for what to bring. Cell phone, music, bandaids, water, gatorade, money, ID, power bar...anything else?

I think if just one person brings a cell phone that would be enough, but it might be fun to bring it to snap some pics and share on-the-go. I usually bring ID, credit card, gel, a diluted sports drink (about 50% strength), music (of course!)...if it's for charity or some other type of fun run it's also your chance to dress up and be silly!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have been invited on a long run, 25K. It's more of a walk/run as the people I am going with power walk. I can easily run 5 miles and have only 4 to 5 weeks to train for this particular endeavour. I'm fairly certain I can power walk 25K but I'm looking for reassurance from actual runners. The temp here will be chilly but not cold, possibly a little wet but there is no telling. Any advice on what to do to prep and what to bring along.
    Thank you for any and all advice.

If you already run regularly and can easily do 5 miles. 5 weeks just to get thru a 25 & finish, not worrying about time should not be that much of an issue. I would stick to whatever you are currently doing, and take one of your runs and add 1-1.5 miles a week. Especially if walking during the even is going to be a part of it, you should do fine completing it. As far as bringing things along, that depends if they have water/aid stations along the course. I don't bring anything when I enter a race if it is supported.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Someone in your existing condition will have no problem finishing a 25k run/walk. I'm not saying it's not going to be painfull but you should be able to finish it no problem.
  • Guinepig
    Options
    Thank you sooooo much for all the help.

I should specify that this is a fun run. Just a group of us doing something crazy so obviously there isn't going to aid stations apart from a call to our significant others to pick up our broken bodies. We have no time limit.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You probably won't like my advice. 4-5 weeks is too short to add 10 miles to your training IMO. The rule is 10% per week or 1 mile to avoid overtraining or overuse injuries.

I agree.

No sensible experienced runner would tell you it's ok to increase your distance from 5 miles to 15 miles in a month.

By all means walk it with the rest of them but don't run it.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

"interesting" is one way of describing that article. "irresponsible" may be another.

Only a complete idiot would enter a marathon, then do no training whatsoever, then take 4 painkillers and drag their way around the course.
  • Guinepig
    Options
    Walking sounds fine to me. Slow and steady wins the race, eventhough this isn't a race. I'll do the 10% a week training and perhaps run another time. Closer to fall. I'm not crazy, afterall.
    The painkiller thing seemed a bit odd to me also.

PS I was never planning on running the whole 25K, maybe not even half.