Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Program Formula NOT working for me - HELP!

2»

Replies

• TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Hang in there. It CAN be done! I understand your frustration. In an effort to help, here are a few pointers:

-- First, be sure that you don't have a medical issue like a thyroid issue (I've got one and without medication, all the work in the world won't maintain a healthy body weight). Assuming you're cleared by your doctor, remember that the closer you get to your weight goal (and you are close, even if you don't feel like it), the more precise you must be. What does that mean? You have to be precise about:

(1) making sure that you accurately track your food intake. If you measure (as opposed to weighing) consider changing up your process to ensure that you're really recording what you're really eating. Sounds simple and most people think they're right on, but at your weight, even a 10% margin of error can stall your forward progress. For more on this, check out my post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/measuring-versus-weighing-your-food-63132. In addition, if you eat out or eat frozen prepared meals, but are tracking and still frustrated, give a moment's consideration to whether the labels you're reading are right on. In a nutshell, research shows that these labels are often up to 20% off (regularly, and not in the direction that favors the dieter!). For more info, read this post by the Cooper Institute: http://blog.standupandeat.org/post/2010/01/Done28099t-Believe-All-That-You-Read.aspx
    (2) making sure you record your activity correctly (are you using MFP or a heart rate monitor). Remember that not all HRM are equally accurate, and that listed calorie burns on MFP vary widely, sometimes overestimating calorie burn by almost double! This is critical if you're eating your exercise calories! Imagine the impact on your diet if you were eating more than your exercise calories inadvertently!
    (3) understanding that the closer you get to your weight goal the more important it will be to eat your exercise calories back fairly regularly. That said, this isn't the rule for EVERYONE all the time. For more on that, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/myth-or-fact-calories-in-versus-calories-out-3500-calories-one-pound-and-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories-62012
    (4) being sure you know your body composition numbers, not just your weight. I try to make sure I get each of my client's their own body fat composition tool so they can know their body composition, especially as they near their goal weight. Each time I check my folks in, I note their weight and their body fat %, and then calculate their lean body weight and their body fat weight. Even if they are the same weight, I'm THRILLED if their body composition is improving. This is really important to gauge precise progress, especially for folks like you because the slow weight loss at this stage can be very frustrating.
    (5) appreciating incremental progress. If you have lose 1/4 pound of body fat, that's a handful of fat. Literally. Body fat is much akin to cubes of butter. And who wouldn't celebrate having one less handful of fat around their waist? Remind yourself that for every 1/4 pound of fat that you lose, it's just like a stick of butter. That's nothing to sneeze at.
    (6) finally, be precise in your expectations. At this stage of the game, if one eats properly (including the elements above, plus guaranteeing that all of their calories are coming from healthy, clean, low fat, fiber rich foods), your expectation should be to lose only about a pound a month as you near your goal weight. I've had 1/4 pound a month be the pace for people to lose the last five pounds. Unpleasant news, but honest news for those whose goal is to reach their goal weights while maintaining good body composition. Sure, one can lose faster if you're willing to sacrifice lean body mass, but that will reap long term negative consequences that nobody wants.

So hang in there. Adjust expectations, Tighten your controls/accuracy of the fundamental elements of your weight loss program and you'll get it. It's guaranteed to be frustrating but try to remind yourself that you're blessed to be at your stage and not facing the need to lose 100+ pounds when the weight loss comes so quickly. :) You're on the right track. Keep it up and keep us posted!