late evening snack

Options
mk820
mk820 Posts: 137 Member
I am usually under my calorie intake by 150-200 cal at the end of the day. I have been eating a 90 cal bar and/or a piece of fruit.
I've read here it is better not to eat carbs right before bed. So low carb suggestions please.....

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Yes fruit is a carb, but fruit is packed full of vitamins, minerals, and water! Can't go wrong with a piece of fruit before bed. Even tho it has sugar it's sugar that your body can easily digest and won't store.
  • RichB77
    RichB77 Posts: 88
    Options
    Hi,

You shouldn't really be eating anything that close to going to bed!

However, a small handful of nuts or a Dairylea light cheese triangle usually takes the edge off my hunger. A small banana or orange isnt going to make much of a carb difference if we're honest, but i suppose it depends on how strict you are being with yourself.

Could you not just have a glass of water?

:drinker:
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I posted on here a couple of weeks ago that a doctor on UK Tv and in my health magazine says it doesnt make any difference if you eat carbs in the evening. He says its the calories you eat in the 24 hour period that matter. The fruit is great. The cereal bar will probably have sugar in it which will mess with your GI. A warm milky drink or a slice of wholemeal toast would be good as it stops you waking up hungry in the night.
  • tpersky
    tpersky Posts: 7
    Options
    It is not good to have high carbs before bedtime, or eat too late in the evening. Being diabetic, I try to not eat alot of carbs at one time, and I too have alot of calories left by the end of the day, so I eat string cheese or otrher low fat cheese. You can also eat deli meat slices that are low cal/fat, but they are higher in sodium., so eat in moderation.

I also eat sugarfree Jello pudding or yogurt. I try to stay away from high sugar/carb snacks in the evening (including fruit). If you are a veggie lover, eat carrots, celery etc. I can't stand those raw, but sugar snap peas taste really good raw. I can eat them right out of the bag. :)
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I try to eat exactly the number of cals. MFP says..especially since I am only eating 1200. I thought I was smart and one week ate 900 a day and only lost 1 lb. when I am at 1150-1200 I lose 2 or 3 lbs
    I'm not really hungry, I just am trying to make up the cal. deficit.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Try Edamame beans- they are a great snack hot or cold and super easy to cook. Just drop in boiling water for 2 minutes. I buy them frozen at the Asian supermarket near my house.