Protein Powder Question

Options
Good morning, just a quick question for everyone.....I have just started drinking smoothies after my workouts and I purchased a soy protein powder to add for that extra umph! Is there a major difference between the soy protein and the whey protein?

Replies

• susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    And what about no added sugars including no added artificial sweeteners? I don't like chemicals in my food!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Ehow.com:

Whey protein
    Whey protein is derived from a cow's milk and is a dairy-based protein. Milk has two proteins in its make-up, one of which is whey, which is created when a cow's milk is being made into cheese.

Soy protein
    Soy protein is created from the soybean, specifically from soy flour. Soy protein is a completely vegetarian protein and is used in everything from salad dressings to vegetarian meats such as soy burger and soy dogs.

Benefits of whey protein
    Whey protein is seen as an extremely low-fat, digestible protein that is extremely beneficial in muscle building because of its amino acid content.

Benefits of soy protein
    Soy protein is a vegetarian protein that lends itself incredibly well to a vegetarian's diet. It has been known to reduce cholesterol and be an adequate substitute for the protein found in meat.

Similarities between whey and soy protein
    Soy and whey proteins are both frequently consumed by people trying to build muscle mass and are both thought of as helpful proteins in doing so. Both soy and whey protein are alternatives to animal proteins, are low in fat and have many healthful benefits for those who digest them.

Differences
    Whey protein has no recorded side effects for those who do not have dairy allergies; likewise, soy protein is a perfect alternative for vegetarian who choose not to include dairy in their diet. The biggest difference between the two proteins is that one is derived from dairy and the other from a vegetable.

Soy is, however a common allergen, ranking second to peanut butter. Choosing soy or whey protein is dependent on the desired effect a person is looking for as well as whether a person has allergies.
    Either way, both soy and whey proteins are beneficial proteins that can be positive additions to your diet.

* I personally use whey. Easier to digest (unless you have a lactose issue of course) and lower in fat.
  • lilbuck
    lilbuck Posts: 2
    Options
    Most soy is genetically modified and it has a high estrogenic effect on the body which will cause you to hold onto weight! I am a fitness model and health coach and my husband is a bodybuilder/trainer/health coach and we encourage our clients to avoid soy all together!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Most soy is genetically modified and it has a high estrogenic effect on the body which will cause you to hold onto weight! I am a fitness model and health coach and my husband is a bodybuilder/trainer/health coach and we encourage our clients to avoid soy all together!

I agree, lose the soy.
  • francis1425
    francis1425 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Very good to know, thank you so much for responding!
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    I prefer whey protein, especially that with micellar casein. Micellar Casein is a protein generally found in milk which is able to form a "clot" that can provide a sustained slow release of amino acids into the blood stream, sometimes lasting for several hours. Basically - it is really filling, and good for you!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thanks!
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    Well i just wanted to say that i am 5'2" and roughly 110 lbs. And i only need 39grams of protein each day so you do not even need anymore protein than what you get each day in meats and diary products. Meat has between 20-25 grams of protein in a 3 oz of meat.