Does 1200 calories a day work if you're petite?

2»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I'm 5'5 and 112 or so and I maintain at 1200 that's with eating back most of my considerable exercise calories. I'm just trying going to 1100 to get to my 110 goal. I guess you have to experiment to see what works for you. Changing your macronutrients, or bumping up your activity level can always play a role in your fitness and weight as well. Good luck!

At your height and weight you should not lose more weight, maybe focus on Strength training to build muscle and lower you BF%, but no reason to weigh less than you do. Ideal at 5'5 is 125lbs if you are small framed 112.5.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    I am 4' 11 3/4" and I do very well at 1200 calories. Like Kelsully, I tried maintenance calories for a while, and the weight started creeping up! I do generally eat most of my exercise calories too on my work out days, and I have still seen the weight come off. I have lost 17 lbs since 10/31, and that is with the holidays and a week long vacation in there!

works for me!
  • Thanks for all the feedback.

This week I decided to try something different this week: 30 Day Shred every day, biking 20min slightly uphill to work everyday, and Couch-to-2k jogging program 3 times a week. I've been at or under 1200 calories each day too. W/o jogging, I'm burning about 400 calories a day. With, I'm burning about 640.

Of course, there are no results. In fact, I gained almost a pound. No, my measurements haven't changed either.

Frustrating doesn't begin to cover it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Thanks for all the feedback.

This week I decided to try something different this week: 30 Day Shred every day, biking 20min slightly uphill to work everyday, and Couch-to-2k jogging program 3 times a week. I've been at or under 1200 calories each day too. W/o jogging, I'm burning about 400 calories a day. With, I'm burning about 640.

Of course, there are no results. In fact, I gained almost a pound. No, my measurements haven't changed either.

Frustrating doesn't begin to cover it.

Then eat more, if you burn 640 the minimum you should eat is 1840 (1200+640) since you are not large you may be able to get away with 1700 or so in that case.
  • I'm having the same issues.. I'm 4'11" and I find myself actually gaining pounds eating 1200 calories.. When I stay around 1000 I lose but I feel like that can't be good for me at all.. :/
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    I'm 4ft 11 and i worry about upping my calories. If anything i've been told to reduce my exercise. I sometimes net below 1200 on my exercise days. I think from now i should net 1200 after exercise. I burn maybe 300-450 cals per workout, 4-5 days a week.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I'm having the same issues.. I'm 4'11" and I find myself actually gaining pounds eating 1200 calories.. When I stay around 1000 I lose but I feel like that can't be good for me at all.. :/

There's no reason why you can't be fully nourished on 1000 calories, but I'm not talking about 1,000 calories at IHOP.

With 50-70g of protein as a base (200 - 280 calories) and a decent amount and variety of fats and vegetables you should do fine. If you were concerned about particular minerals and vitamins then you could use a supplement during your diet.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I disagree somewhat. I think if you are not losing on 1200/day try upping it to 1300 instead of lowering it since your are 10-15 lbs from your goal weight your weight loss should be slow (0.5-1.0 lbs/week)

Can you walk us through your argument of what you foresee happening as she does this, I'm sure that would be educational for the several people in the same boat.

I agree about the rate of loss, I'm interested to "see you workings" on adding energy intake.......
This discussion has been closed.