Letting Myself Go

Hakkiri
Hakkiri Posts: 6
edited September 24 in Motivation and Support
I've been on a pretty routine eating habit for almost a month, but this past weekend, I sorta let myself go and consumed waaayyy too many calories. I'm definitely going to get myself back into shape starting today, but I was wondering if it's ever okay to just let yourself go once in a while. I don't want to make it habit, of course, but sometimes it's just sooooo hard!!! haha. I've been consistently losing the lbs. every week, so I know that if I keep going, I'll make it to my goal. But like, this past weekend I ate like In n Out twice (although the first time, I ate it protein style) and then I also ate at Outback Steakhouse, and THEN there was also a birthday celebration at my church where we had aallll this Korean food.

So I guess my question is--is it okay to sometimes let yourself go as long as you can push yourself into the same routine right after, or is it dangerous ground to venture into?

Replies

• mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Letting your self go every once in a while, in my opinion, keeps you sane.

I've noticed now, even when I "let myself go" I make healthier choices subconsciously. It's ridiculous.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    That one's really a personal perspective and really just all about how you react mentally-

I love having some let go time, but at the same time, I never feel comfy not logging or planning it. If I go out, I pick options I want ahead of time. If I go to a party, I allot extra calories and try to get an estimation in my head of what I am eating. Even when I go over, I don't feel super comfy going waaay over. But that's me. Plenty of people just like having a "not logging" day every month or two, and a lot of people just can't handle that. It's all about you and how you make it work.
  • missrugby
    missrugby Posts: 31
    I am sure some people will disagree with me on this, but to me it is very unrealistic to think that I will never eat something I shouldn't ever again for the rest of my life. We are changing our lifestyles I know, but to deprive ourselves of certain foods once in a while just seems almost impossible, and I don't think we should have to. I think it is completely okay to do it once in a while as long as you get right back on track. :-)
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    I have to give myself a little break every now and then. But, not a whole day, just maybe for a night or a meal.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    When I let go, it reminds me of why I am eating healthy most times. Usually eating the not healthy stuff just doesn't taste and feel as good as it use to, so I will eat it when I let go and think "oh thank Goodness I dont eat like that all the time anymore."
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    When I let go, it reminds me of why I am eating healthy most times. Usually eating the not healthy stuff just doesn't taste and feel as good as it use to, so I will eat it when I let go and think "oh thank Goodness I dont eat like that all the time anymore."

This is so true.

I used to eat until I was about to explode. After 2-3 weeks of eating healthy and losing nearly 10 lbs, I had a day where I ate till I was about to explode.

The next day I felt sick to my stomach and nearly puked...

I still have my "cheat" days once in a while, but they just are not as extreme
  • Hakkiri
    Hakkiri Posts: 6
    Thanks for the input, guys! Yeah, I do let myself go once in a while...but because I'm more conscious with my food choices now, as well as being consistent in exercising, I'm still losing the weight. :D
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Well, I agree that this is really a personal perspective, meaning that it's really something you have to decide for yourself. I know personally for me that I have a food addiction and I let myself go about 4 weeks ago and I'm hoping to get back on track tomorrow. It sent me spiraling out of control. So, I think you just have to do what works best for you and how you know you'll react to it. If it helps keep you sane and you can get right back on track, then I say go for it! But if you know it will most likely lead to out of control choices and eating, then don't do it. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.