Counting Vegetable Calories?

Options
I have been tracking my calories for quite some time before I started using MFP. I really enjoy this site, and find it a great help to access this anywhere I am at a computer. Tracking the calories burned is also excellent!

My question is this, how many of you track vegetables on here and why?

I have never really counted vegetables, because I was told a while back that they are very calorie dense. Also, most of the time, say lettuce and tomato on a sandwich, doesn't seem as important as the bread, cheese or condiments that are on it. And I do weigh and measure everything that I eat.

Just looking for some thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Thanks!

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I count them....a calorie is a calorie. That, and they can add to your fiber amount. Some, such as potatoes, are higher in calories and need to be counted....at least in my opinion :)
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    Ditto the above... a calorie is a calorie.. nothing is free.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    i count all calories - if veggies have them, I count them - on a day when I don't workout, vegetables do add up
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i do count them mainly because of sugars and carbs for myself. and I like to be able to see if i lost one day what I ate exactly.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Actually, vegetables are NOT calorie dense, that's why a lot of people/sites say it's not important to count them.

I do count them. On a sandwich the tomato adds just a few calories so it's not like it takes a huge chunk out of my daily calories. I don't count things like onion, green chile, or anything else I consider a spice.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Yes I count them!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I count it. I count everything that I put in my mouth. You should be as accurate as possible because they all have some sort of calorie. Maybe down the road you'll start saying, "Oh it was only 3 m&m's... I don't really need to count it, do I?

All those little cals add up, darling.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of veggies: 12 oz at lunch and 12 oz at dinner. I log them because I log everything I eat. 12 oz is usually about 4 servings and I frequently end up with 120 calories per meal just from my veggies, that seems like a lot to not count.:happy:
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    agreed, I count it all.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    If I have a whole serving of something....say a cup of broccoli, I will count it. But like last night, I had a wrap with a little bit of tomato and lettuce. I didn't bother with it. For one thing, I doubt I could even find an entry that would give the calorie count for a couple of tablespoons of lettuce, etc. I don't really fret about it. I guess from so long follwoing weight watchers where they tell you that nostarchy veggies are FREE.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I count an wiegh everything
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    if its a tomato slice on a sandwich, or a couple leaves of lettuces on a sandwich then no i dont actually, but if its an actual serving or half a serving i count it.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I agree with counting every calorie. I don't care if they come from Carrotts, Coke, or Cake. They are all calories and add up. I also feel a proud pat on the back in seeing healthy foods, such as fruits and vegtables, on my menu. :D
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I count veggies (and everything). There are plenty of veggies that have more calorie than one might think. Still a GREAT nutritional deal and I try to eat tons of veggie and fruits, but they should be counted. A big onion can have 100 calories. And my favorite to munch on -- baby carrots? Check it out:

Serving size = 57 baby carrots (yeah, I can eat that many during a long movie!)
    Calories = 200
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 0.74g
    Saturated Fat 0.13g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.37g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.04g
    Calories from Fat 6.69
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 445.72mg
    Total carbs 47.09g
    Fiber, total dietary 16.57g
    Sugars, total 27.20g
    Protein 3.66g
    Vitamin A 78800.20IU
    Vitamin C 14.86mg
    Calcium 182.86mg
    Iron 5.09mg
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I measure, weigh, and log everything I eat and drink. It's the only way to track and spot trends that will help you achieve your goals.
  • christenmc
    Options
    I count everything
    I also use a food scale so that if I have a tomato slice I can know the grams
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I weigh everything to the gram for precision just so I can have the most accurate calorie count. I'm pretty meticulous.
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    Actually, vegetables are NOT calorie dense, that's why a lot of people/sites say it's not important to count them.

I do count them. On a sandwich the tomato adds just a few calories so it's not like it takes a huge chunk out of my daily calories. I don't count things like onion, green chile, or anything else I consider a spice.

I agree with this, I really only count them if i'm having an all veggie dinner. A calorie isn't a calorie they all aren't created equal.
  • wigglebun1
    Options
    Eating vegetables never made me fat! But, I count everything! Weight Watchers says you don't count the non-starchy vegetables & fruits, but I still find myself adding a point or two! Can't seem to change what works!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I count all veggies as well.