Calcium for milk loathers

Options
I've been doing My Fitness Pal for just over a week now and one thing I've noticed is that I'm not getting anywhere near enough calcium (around 1% !). I'm 25 too so I read somewhere that it's more important than ever to get as much calcium in your body to prevent osteoporosis later in life.

I'm not a massive lover of supplements as I don't trust them for some reason and I want my diet to be as healthy as possible, getting as much of the nutrients as I can from the food I eat. I don't really drink milk, apart from on cereal, cheese scares me because of the fat content although I do like the dairylea triangles! Any ideas on what I can do to get my calcium up?

Replies

• wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is great -- and you can eat the cheese that's made with skim milk to control fat and calories. But dark green vegetables are an excellent source of calcium (spinach, collard greens, broccoli...).

And if you drink oj, there are calcium-fortified varieties.

Make sure you're getting Vitamin D, too, or you won't be absorbing the calcium you're taking in!
  • Katcatters
    Katcatters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ... I agree with wiggle ... the green veg is the way to go, loads of calcium in that.
  • CharlieJimenez
    CharlieJimenez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The following are some foods rich in calcium compared to fat-free milk (289mg Calcium in 8 oz):

Figs (506mg in just four dried figs!)
    Tofu (100g has 506mg)
    Sardines (500mg)
    Broccoli, 3oz (34mg)
    Slice of 9-10" cheese pizza (873mg)

That being said, remember that not all foods in the MyFitnessPal have the Calcium and Iron up date and many (if not most) have them as 0! So check the nutrition labels to be sure!

This Web site may be useful:
    http://www.iofbonehealth.org/patients-public/about-osteoporosis/prevention/nutrition/calcium-rich-foods.html
  • shrinkingviolet23
    shrinkingviolet23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    wow who knew there was so much in figs?! Thanks guys, the tracker on My Fitness Pal may also have something to do with it so I will keep an eye on labels too.