How do you do your lettuce?

Options
sweebum
sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
So, I'm a simple gal. I want my healthy choices to be just as convenient as my junk choices- or I will give in to the junk in a time crunch.:ohwell:

I eat a lot of romaine or green leaf lettuce. Currently I wash it, chop it up and keep it in a vented vegetable container. I'm always open to suggestions to keep it fresh and yummy longer.

So tell me, how do you keep your veggies fresh and ready for eating?

Replies

• Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My co-worker told me to wash it and put it in a ziploc bag with a moist paper towel. I did that and it lasted almost a week longer than usual. I don't know how it works, but it does. You may have to change out the paper towel once or twice, you will see it getting an icky color and then change it.
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    So some reason (I'm sure on a cellular one) if you tear lettuce rather than cutting it with a knife, it will not brown as quickly. Also, I only cut up what I know that I am going to use in a few days. I keep the uncut lettuce in its original plastic bags.
  • s_waser
    s_waser Posts: 92
    Options
    I rip the lettuce by hand instead of cutting it.
    Then I rinse the lettuce and place in a salad spinner.
    I store the lettuce in a gallon size ziplock bag and place a folded paper towel on both sides of the lettuce.
    When I get the lettuce out to make my lunch I will replace the paper towels if they are wet and I usually put the bag in on the opposite side it was on before.