Heart monitor and calorie counter

Options
Does anyone know a good Calorie counter I can wear while working out? I've looked around and found that there are some cheap ones and some really expensive ones. I'm sure that the expensive one are probably more accurate. I don't really want to spend more that $100. So if anyone know of a good pretty accurate calorie counter for about 100 or cheaper please let me know. Thanks!

Replies

• beverleysz
    beverleysz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I use a Polar HR monitor, they vary in price but in UK I purchased for £70 on Amazon. It shows what zone you are working in, ie fat burning or fitness and keeps a weekly tally of calories burnt. You plug in your personal details, height, weight, sex etc and it's very easy to use. Find it so much better than the calories shown on the machines in the gym - they always over estimate - unfortunately!
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just bought a New Balance N4 heart rate monitor with calorie counter. I find mine to be very accurate. I bought it at Target for $69.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Lots of advice on the site.
    If you use the search facility above the thread and put HRM, you'll get loads of advice. :O)
    I use an FT4 - Polar.
    £70 in the uk and brilliant.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am in UK but got one from EBay with chest strap for £25. It does all that the Polar does.
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    Got a Timex one for 35.00 on overstock.com and it's awesome so far. Does what I need it to do :)
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I started with a relatively cheap one from Walmart ($69) but it was awful. Luckily I was able to return it. I now have a Polar FT4 , I paid $134 CND for it. It was regular price, so you could probably get it cheaper by shopping around. I like it because it is super easy to use. I even had the guy at the sports store programme it for me so all I do is press stop or start. I feel it is pretty accurate as well.
    Hope this helps.
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just whatever you choose as far as heart rate monitors go, make sure to get one with the chest strap. That is the only way to get a true read.

Barb
  • tljacob
    tljacob Posts: 28
    Options
    I have the Polar F4 (it has a chest strap)!!! I bought it a year ago on Amazon.com for $65. I love it... it allows you to adjust HR settings for your workouts and weight. My trainer says the readings are very accurate. In the beginning, I was a little nervous about wearing the chest strap, but now I feel naked without it!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple HRM in the past and were never really thrilled with them but I also bought ones that were relatively inexpensive.

I just got FitBit and LOVE it!! It's more of a step counter / calorie counter, it does not track your heart rate. But for what I was looking for it's absolutely perfect. Check it out... www.fitbit.com.