Calories from Exercise

Options
Are you supposed to add these to what you eat during the day?? I have been basing what I eat on total calories I have left that include the ones i burn from exercising..I have only lost 2lbs barely..Should I base my intake on the limit for the day not including the exercise calories?

If that all makes sense

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    From what I have gathered on here, people say you should eat the calories that you have burned from exercising. There are tons of posts on the message boards for this, just read through some to see if you find anything that helps! Most of the time I actually haven't ended up eating them, some people say you'll go into "starvation mode" if you don't eat them, but that's always up for debate too!
  • gdsbt1
    gdsbt1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started out eating my exercise calories (not all of them)......but I only lost .8 of a pound in a month. I'm not trying to lose a lot of weight, though....only 10-15 pounds. I talked with a personal trainer at the gym, and he said NOT to eat the exercise calories. So for the past few days I have been keeping my calories down......and I lost almost 2 pounds over the weekend. I think I may be one of those people who can't get away with eating my exercise calories. I know some here will disagree with me, but this is what is working for me right now.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The basic consensus seems to be to keep your NET calorie intake above 1200 for the day. So, if your base calories intake is 1300 for the day, you exercise and burn 350, that would drop your net calories to 1050. You should probably eat back about 150 of your burned calories.

Does that make sense?
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You will get all kinds of answers on this. I personally do not eat back my exercise calories and I have managed to lose 40lbs since Jan 1. I am careful not to drop below 1200 or go over my 1540 alloted amount. Listen to your body, it will tell you what to do!
  • KELM0710
    KELM0710 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ok good to know. I figured this would be a mixed bag post.

Thanks everyone!!