Eating right foods for cycling

beverleysz
beverleysz Posts: 3 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Hope someone can help :-)

I am currently training to cycle from London to Paris in June this year. I am a keen gym goer and until about 6 months ago before back injury did alot of running. Unfortunately I put on about 24lbs which is hard to shift. Anyway, to cut a long story short no more running for me so this is a new personal challenge. I have always done alot of spinning classes but now outside on the bike. My question is about what foods to eat prior to going out on bike - I did 30 miles on Friday and 37 miles on Sunday. Over those two days according to HR montior I burn't just over 3,000 calories - my question is how do I make sure I eat the right food but still try to loose weight.

sorry new to all this so not sure if I have posted on the correct message board.

Any response appreciated.
Thanks
:-):smile:

Replies

• piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Hi and Congrats on becoming a cyclist! I'm also a cyclist and just started about a year ago. Cycling does burn a ton of calories so you do want to make sure you eating enough to keep up the energy on long rides. I usually try to get some good carbs and protein about 30-45 mins before a long ride (40+ miles). Then I always bring some type of protein bar along with me. I'm planning to do my first century ride this year. There is a cycling group on here called MFP Cycling club with people who have been riding for years and I'm sure they can give you alot more advice than I can. Good luck on your ride!!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    You will need carbs the good kind the whole grain slow carbs lean protien for muscle repair...i am just getting into cycling myself I am primarily a runner/swimmer and I eat as cleanly as possible. It keeps me full and focused. I eat many colorful things so I know its packing a punch and helping fuel long workouts...OH how do we find the cycle club on here???
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Just do a search for MFP cycling club on the message board. I'll try to find it and bump it!!
This discussion has been closed.