is it stupid to...if youre overweight?

Options
2»

Replies

• larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    my answer to this is to make yourself and your progress known to people in your gym where you work out at, and when people see that you are taking steps to better yourself and see the results themselves on you, then yes they will hire you. I have seen this before and they were one of the top personal trainers at that gym. Its all about perception! you can do it!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I would not hire a financial advisor who was in dept and foreclosure, no matter how good his advise sounded on paper. I wouldn't go to a church where the pastor was an alcoholic wife beater, not matter how great his sermons were. I would not go to driving school from someone with 8 accidents and a DUI on their record, even though they can tell me where to turn and when to brake. I wouldn't have my accounting done done by someone in collection by the IRS. I would not send my kids to school with a teacher who did not pass the 11th grade. I would not get my hair cut and colored by someone who had an awful dye job...

I think it's similar. You need to be able to show that your methods work, that you are serious about it, that you know what you are talking about and not just regurgitating stats and routines from class.

That being said - how long can it actually take to get into really great shape if you put 100% too it. Have you seen the P90X results? In 3-6 months you can be looking fantastic to go along with your new certification. It would take a ton of work, but again, that just goes to strengthen your credibility in your new roll.

You, IMO, would not have to be 2% body fat and ripped, but you should be healthy. Even so much as what you eat and how you live should be along the lines of what you "preach" to your clients. No one wants to hear - I eat McDonalds 3 times a week, but you can't. Etc.
  • GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Go for it!
  • Bryce58
    Bryce58 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have an ex-alchoholic nephew. He's now a very good drug & alcohol counsel:happy: lor!
  • 16henryk
    16henryk Posts: 7
    Options
    hey its okay. whe nI started school this year, I didnt think that very many people would want to be friends with the fat girl, but Im loaded down with friends. I dont think it would matter as long as youre methods work, and your personality is great.
    Hope this helps!:happy:
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    I totally think you should go for it! There are all kinds of trainers for all kinds of people. There are the clients that want the trainer with the perfect body (you can't do anything about that) and there are clients who prefer their trainers to have average bodies. *shrug* I think much of it comes down to personality and rapport-building with clients. If you aren't fun and don't make the sessions interesting, the clients aren't probably going to stick around regardless of your body.

Best of luck to you!
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    I have an ex-alchoholic nephew. He's now a very good drug & alcohol counsel:happy: lor!

Yes, but he would NOT make a good counselor / coach at only one month sober. I think a trainer who understands where their clients are coming from are great, but they have to be past their progress.
  • jjustjo
    jjustjo Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Would you take health advice from a fat doctor??? One who smokes?? Come on people!! I say go for it girl no matter what size you are. I would hire a fat personal trainer who is making an effort to change way faster than a skinny airhead who is more concerned about her bra size than her brain size.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Could you be a good personal trainer even if you weren't in the best shape personally? Doubtless. Would it inspire confidence in your clients if you were in great shape? Doubtless. If you want to be the best personal trainer possibly, should you be in good shape? Doubtless. Will you have a hard time getting clients initially if you are out of shape? Probably.

Why? Most people who hire a personal trainer do so to see results. What you are selling them is the idea that if they listen to you, they'll get results. While the "do as I say, not as I do" refrain can be as true in this situation as others, it won't be a very convincing way to get someone to pay you to train them if you don't have a host of satisfied clients to point to yet.

That said, "out of shape" is a relative thing, and if you are passionate about this, go for it. Be aware that one of your priorities will be applying what you learn to your own health and fitness, and I'm sure you'll succeed.

Good luck!
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    Would you take health advice from a fat doctor??? One who smokes??

Not if he is instructing me on weight loss or successful ways to stop smoking. If his specialty is podiatry, then who cares, but when it's counter to what he is teaching / preaching - yes, it definitely matters.
  • MissyBC
    MissyBC Posts: 10
    Options
    I wouldn't hire someone who was out of shape no offense
  • MissyBC
    MissyBC Posts: 10
    Options
    I wouldn't hire someone who was out of shape no offense
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'd be looking for a hot man with a body to die for and an attitude like a drill sergeant because that's what I respond well to. Others may be different. I think you'd have a different clientele, but you could still take the class just for the learning and what it will do for your body and confidence. Good luck!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    There is NOTHING stupid about following a dream. Becoming a personal trainer will help you learn how to take care of your own fitness. And every personal trainer isn't perfect. Maybe women would be motivated to hire you if they don't feel as self conscience about their own physical appearance. They might want a more approachable trainer - more "human", you know?

Follow your dreams!
  • Mary830
    Mary830 Posts: 64
    Options
    A lot of people have an idea of how a trainer should look. And it is possible that you will have to deal with some judgment if you haven't reached your goal by the time you start training.

Personally, I wouldn't let that stop you. I know I never let that stop me. Even when I was training full time, I was always struggling to keep/increase my muscle definition, sometimes gaining weight and having to lose it again. Everyone has to work to maintain their health and fitness, and trainers are no exception.

I had a lot of great clients who liked having a trainer who had been in their shoes before. And some of them commented that they liked knowing that I had to work just as hard as them.
  • chickybabe05
    Options
    I think the world we live in is full of ignorant and judgemental individuals. Ok, maybe not WORLD, but surely in the USA where women feel like they need to resemble the body types we see on TV, in movies, and in magazines. How this country got so OBSESSED on physical form is beyond me. The ideals that women feel they need to embody are not always "healthy" women, just skinny ones.

ANYHOO.... I think you should ask yourself this: Whatever it is that you want out of life, do you want it to be defined by others and thier personal perceptions or opinions? I live my life to do what makes me happy, regardless of popular opinion. I want to lose weight and eat better to FEEL better, and not require so much caffiene in my life, lol. If learning about personal training and taking classes is something you are passionate about, then do it. There are still people out there that will see past what you look like, and listen to what you have to offer.:bigsmile:

It's feels more stupid to not do something you want to do, because of what others might think of you!

100% agreed totally!!!! If this is something YOU want to do and have the drive to do then GO FOR IT!!!

i would hire you if i could lol!!!!
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    You should probably get in shape while taking the classes......I don't think anyone would hire an overweight personal trainer.

But I think they would be twice as likely to hire a personal trainer who has been there and done it themselves.....

Take the classes and go for it!! What a great goal to work toward!

Good luck!

Agreed.
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    I think it's also important to define "being in shape." You can have great cardiovascular fitness and strong muscles and still be overweight. However, those are not necessarily things you can see so you might judge someone for "not being in shape" when in fact, they can out run or out lift *you*.

I think it's most important to be "fit" (whether or not that's visible externally) and to model good habits. As a personal trainer who is not thin and will probably never be thin, my clients appreciate the fact that I'm a real person and that I value participation in the real world (which includes happy hours, birthday parties and other such situations where a naked chicken breast just doesn't cut it). Honestly, I think the longest PT relationships come from being relate-able.