On-the-Go

Options
Okay Guys - I am semi-new here, and I am down 10 pounds Wooot Wooot! Now my biggest problem (besides loving food) is that I am constantly on the go. Some days more than others. I am really trying to focus and not make up excuses so my question is what do you do when you're literally in the car for dinner? My schedule on Wed is I work my regular job from 9-5. I counsel kids at night and I have a session from 5:30-630 and then I have a conference I am going to from 7-9. Can someone give me an idea for dinner that can be eaten in the car and very quickly and not using an excuse to go through the drive-thru?

Replies

• SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You could probably use a lot of foods that hikers use - mixed nuts or trail mix, jerky, dried fruit, granola bars, meal replacement shakes.

I would probably pack a lunch box with some whole grain sandwiches, fresh fruit, yogurt, etc and an ice pack though.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I would pack a lunch too...check out the hungry girl show and/or website, she has some great ideas on making your own granola mix, kale chips, etc....

Here's a few ideas....wraps or sandwiches, bananas, pre-sliced apples, carrots, yogurt, stuff that you can eat either driving or sitting in a parking lot somewhere. :)

Another thing I do is I check my friends food journals, sometimes that will give you inspiration on what to pack for lunch/breakfast/or make for dinner. :)
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    apples, carrots, sandwich homemade and healthier( good bread, low fat lunch meats) my son loves slices of cucumbers just plain, healthy crackers with peanut butter(also homemade) think snack instead of meal make sure it has protein and your set. Good luck
  • Cshore84
    Cshore84 Posts: 11
    Options
    Since I've started this diet, I've gone around and gotten a Nutrition menu at every fast food restaurant I go to. You'd be surprised at what you can get. The other day I was at KFC and got a Grilled Chicken Fillet meal, with corn and a biscuit. Chicken breast was 140 calories and the corn was 100 calories and I had a yogurt instead of the biscuit. To top it off it was only $5 . So grab some of those menus and like the others said, a meal replacement shake and pack a lunchbox sometimes.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    OK wanna hear a really weird combo? But it's my "in a pinch" meal. it's not awesome, but it's acceptable in a bind. If you have time and know you're going to be out and about, I recommend making stuff that you can take with you, but if you find yourself unable to pre-pack a meal, do this.

1 nature valley granola bar, 1 low sodium V8, and 1 single serving bag of beef jerky. Total is about 300 calories, plenty of protein, little high in sodium (about 700 mg), and a little high in sugar (about 20 g) but it provides plenty of fiber and vegetable servings along with some decent carbs (and some not so decent carbs sadly). You could probably find a better carbohydrate choice than the Nature valley bar, but that one is pretty ubiquitous so that's what I picked.

Again, this isn't an AWESOME meal, but it's acceptable, and filling enough for most people.
  • stacy3333
    stacy3333 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Guys! The "old me" would just go to chickfila or something and just rationalize that I don't have time to be healthy. That is how I got to the weight I am... so I need to change something.