Eating back our burned calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Cyanon
    Cyanon Posts: 2
    Options
    If you're trying to stay on the exact goal (0.5 to 2 lbs a week, whatever you had set up in MFP) then yes the site is assuming you're going to eat those calories back.

Myself I try really hard to stay at or under what the base daily calorie intake is. Like others have said try and find out what way works for you, personally I eat as little as possible, but always enough to feel "ok".
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options
    MFP has already calculated a calorie deficit for you so I'd say eat them. I didn't to begin and was fine but then the weightloss slowed and stopped. So now I eat most of them but very seldom all of them...

For more info I'd suggest reading this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

There's also a lot more info here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Best of luck...

ps. and 15 kg equals 34 pounds lost :)

Links are always a nice addition to a post. Thank you for that. Before reading any of that, I have been follwing the following philosophy when it comes to this topic:

*Never eat less than 1200 calories a day.

*Always strive to land on the number MFP has set for me (currently 1500), no matter how much/little I exercise.

*When I exercise, those become OPTIONAL calories.
    ****If I don't eat those calories, I should see better results.
    ****If I do eat them, but end up below the adjusted calories then I should have typical results.
    ******Extra calories (if eaten) should be eaten over time, not by stuffing myself at dinner.

I'm down over 70 lbs using this formula, but it is all about what works for you.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I do not EVER eat back my exercise calories...I do however eat all of my 1200...I agree that for me it would defeat the purpose..

I have been losing 3+ per week by not consuming them.

I agree! I have been eating back some of my exercise calories and not losing! This makes WAY more since to me! So glad I saw this thread!!!

It is more likely that you are just overestimating your calories burned or underestimating your calories in.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I would like to reiterate the truth that has been ignored thus far.

*Ahem* Behold...The URL :noway:

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

LOL!!! Love the link!! :laugh:
    Obviously, nobody is reading the links we provide.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    It's simple science and math. The way MFP wants you to account for it is confusing to many.

Calories burned by Basal Metabolic Rate
    plus
    Calories burned by normal activity
    plus
    Calories burned by EXERCISE

equals the number of calories you must eat to maintain your current weight.

Subtract 500 calories for 1lb per week weight loss. 1000(if it doesn't take you below the minimum recommended for your gender) for 2lbs per week.

When you pick your goal in MFP it creates a deficit in the calorie number it gives you. What it does not know is your calories burned through exercise. You must enter them and eat them back or you are WAY TO LOW in calorie intake.
  • meljean30
    meljean30 Posts: 22
    Options

LOL.. that made me laugh.. :)

Id like to say.. it sounds so appealing to ONLY eat 1200 calories a day work my *kitten* off and have consistant weight loss over the long haul. There are days where my total burn is 800-1100 calories.. ( yes some days i bring it!!) If i was not eating any of those.. my muscles would not be able to preform they way i demand them to.. Now if all i was doing was walking a few miles a day, no i would not eat those.. -.. i demand alot of my body, and in return it expects me to fuel it right. .. so yes.. unless your workout is sit and be fit.. :)
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    All good info - just need to listen to your body to find the right combination.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

Actually, I could've sworn there've been less should i eat my exercise calories threads lately. I noticed because I'm itching to drop The Url at any opportunity. :laugh:
  • mom2boys
    mom2boys Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only reason I exercise is to gain calories to eat! When MFP figures the calories you should eat to lose the weight you want per week, it is figuring in how many "net" calories you should eat. So, if your daily calorie goal is 1200, you can eat 1200 that day and not exercise. If you exercise, you can eat back what you burned. If you don't, you risk putting your body into starvation mode, and you won't lose weight. I have been at this for 2 months, and have lost 17# by eating the calories I have burned exercising. Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone!
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I didn't start out eating mine back, but when I started eating them I started losing more weight. Why would you only want to eat 1200 calories a day anyway? I love the fact that I go bust my butt and get to have more food because of it. I can't wait until I am on maintenance calories :happy:

The 1200 calories is if you don't do anything. If you workout you need to fuel your body. I actually feel like the 1200 is too low... that's my opinion for me though.
  • pwprice59
    pwprice59 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I run out of calories and have to exercise to be able to eat something for supper. Maybe I should eat less during the day? idk?
  • CarissaNew
    CarissaNew Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do not EVER eat back my exercise calories...I do however eat all of my 1200...I agree that for me it would defeat the purpose..

I have been losing 3+ per week by not consuming them.

I agree! I have been eating back some of my exercise calories and not losing! This makes WAY more since to me! So glad I saw this thread!!!

It is more likely that you are just overestimating your calories burned or underestimating your calories in.

Nope! I am super careful about what I eat and tracking it, and I have been exercising more than I ever have in my life! I am losing inches, but wasn't losing much for about 3 weeks. I think people should do what works for them.