too much protein??

runnermel
runnermel Posts: 278
edited 5:59PM in Introduce Yourself
I have noticed that I am going over my protein daily amounts suggested by mfp. curious what this will do to my weight loss?? Is this really harmful? and should I be worried about it?

Replies

• jennrdrgz22
    jennrdrgz22 Posts: 13 Member
    eeek i've been wondering the same thing! lol not sure if to worry or not ... ?
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Daily intake protein values on this site are pretty low, actually, and you'll probably be informed of that by many people....

A general rule of thumb (apparently, I'm certainly no expert, though), is to consider your goal weight (in pounds), and consume that many GRAMS of protein in a day....At least, that's my general understanding.

It's better to worry about caloric, fat, and sodium intakes....As long as you're hitting those, you're set!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Daily intake protein values on this site are pretty low, actually, and you'll probably be informed of that by many people....

A general rule of thumb (apparently, I'm certainly no expert, though), is to consider your goal weight (in pounds), and consume that many GRAMS of protein in a day....At least, that's my general understanding.

It's better to worry about caloric, fat, and sodium intakes....As long as you're hitting those, you're set!

Yes. the 15% that it gives you here is more like a minimum standard to live by, not a goal, especially by people working out.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    thanks, that really helps and makes me feel better! I definitely workout, usually twice a day with one workout being a run of at least 4-5 miles. and then try to have several weight bearing excercises mixed in. so, hopefully it will all balance out!!
  • I changed my goals completelly. I do work out. Mine is currently set to 60% protein (instead of 65% carbs) and 20/20 for carbs/fat

daily vitamins + protein shakes + 5 day workout (cardio/strength)

1-1.5 gr of pritein is needed during workout.

I want to lose weight, however with the strategy I am using, there could be even increase of weight... however reduction of waist size....

Good luck to all!!
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    i reccomentd that you change your goals manually and set your protein intake to 30%, carb to 55% and fat to 15%.
This discussion has been closed.