Medication consideration to calories

Options
Does anyone consider medication when they are doing their calorie intake? I am on prednisone which will make you gain weight and retain water. I have the mental mindset to lower my calories because of this. Does anyone have this problem with medication and if so what do you do to accommodate for the medication side effects?

Replies

• catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JenniferTasso
    JenniferTasso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am on the depo shot, and a side effect is also weight gain, due to the craving of carbs (so my Dr. says)....I would think, as long as you exercise and eat healthy watch the fats, carbs, sugars,etc. that you should be fine...Medication side effects don't apply to everyone, as long as you don't let them. (I was once on prednisone before too)
  • hotelsierra
    Options
    Not to scare you but prednisone is a pretty strong steriod (rx). it will lead to water retention and weight gain normally in the abdomin area- I wish you the best of luck fighting what ever it is you need that strong of a rx for. Nothing wrong with watching what you eat and exercise is good for everyone- just dont get discouraged- the meds are strong-
  • UmbraForzare
    Options
    Oh I feel your pain, hon.

I take Amitriptyline, Ropinerole, Tramadol, Paracetamol and Lansoprazole and in the doses that I take them in they pretty much all have weight gain as a side effect.

I've asked my Dr a few times about taking that into consideration when I think about calorie intake (combined with the fact that every single woman in my family is hugely overweight - thanks genetics!!) and the response I got was less than helpful.

I'm just basically trying to counteract the effects as much as I can by eating well and taking whatever exercise I'm able to.

I really, truly wish you the best of luck with your weight loss - I can understand how frustrating this is.
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    Not to scare you but prednisone is a pretty strong steriod (rx). it will lead to water retention and weight gain normally in the abdomin area- I wish you the best of luck fighting what ever it is you need that strong of a rx for. Nothing wrong with watching what you eat and exercise is good for everyone- just dont get discouraged- the meds are strong-

I am on prednisone for severe asthma and I am on it long term. I have been on the ventilator 8 times. I am on a pretty high dose right now 60mg daily. So it is pretty frustrating. I have developed steriod induced diabetes from it and steriod induced high blood pressure, steriod induced high triglycerides, and cushings syndrome. I really hate this medication with a passion but it seems it is the only medication that allows me to breathe. I am in the process of going to a very well known diagnostic center that will hopefully get me some other answers than this medication for my asthma. I just wondered if anyone altered their calorie intake according to medication on here. I tend to decrease it or stay on the lower side of my calories even when I exercise just to try to counteract some of the medication side effects. I am not sure how it really equates or works but just wanted to see if anyone else has succeeded with weight loss with being on any medicaiton and how they were able to do it.
  • seearainbow
    seearainbow Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been on steroids long term for asthma and still lost weight before (about 40 lbs). I made sure to drink lots and lots of water, to try to fight my body's inclination to retain water. I also just did the normal--counting calories and exercising. I didn't account for the medication. There is no specific number of calories to take out for taking a certain med...the medicine just might work against you some. You may have a more difficult struggle, but in the end, a greater victory!
  • LazyMogg
    LazyMogg Posts: 162
    Options
    Does anyone consider medication when they are doing their calorie intake? I am on prednisone which will make you gain weight and retain water. I have the mental mindset to lower my calories because of this. Does anyone have this problem with medication and if so what do you do to accommodate for the medication side effects?

That must be so difficult for you, especially if you are trying to lose weight. I don't know if this will help you but you could take a look:

http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/prednisone/f/predweight.htm

Basically the site advises a reduced sodium diet and eating potassium rich foods as Prednisone causes sodium retention and potassium reduction.
  • Bonkies
    Bonkies Posts: 1
    Options
    Part of the steroids will also just change the deposition of fat, where it is on your body. IE the rounded face and abdomen. Regardless of whether ur skinny or heavy, the medication will do this. I am a Registered Nurse, and I've seen skinny little 110 lb ladies on it, but they still have the rounded belly and face. They are not fat, or overweight by any means, but thats just what the medication does. And like previously stated, drink plenty of water to encourage ur kidneys to work to get rid of the extra that u retain anyway because of the medication.
  • hotelsierra
    Options

I am on prednisone for severe asthma and I am on it long term. I have been on the ventilator 8 times. I am on a pretty high dose right now 60mg daily. So it is pretty frustrating. I have developed steriod induced diabetes from it and steriod induced high blood pressure, steriod induced high triglycerides, and cushings syndrome. I really hate this medication with a passion but it seems it is the only medication that allows me to breathe. I am in the process of going to a very well known diagnostic center that will hopefully get me some other answers than this medication for my asthma. I just wondered if anyone altered their calorie intake according to medication on here. I tend to decrease it or stay on the lower side of my calories even when I exercise just to try to counteract some of the medication side effects. I am not sure how it really equates or works but just wanted to see if anyone else has succeeded with weight loss with being on any medicaiton and how they were able to do it.

I wish you the best of luck, getting your asthma under control. Stay strong! :flowerforyou: