working out two times a day / when to eat ?

Options
So I am a stay at home Dad and being as we are down to one car
the only think i got to do is some house work tend to the kids .
Exercise and play video games.

I like to try to do my treadmill twice a day but how long should i wait between work outs ?
Should my second work out be more intense? less? same?

When should i fit my meals in also?
I know everyone says do not eat after 8 pm but i tend to stay up a little later then most as that is the only true "me" time
everyones sleeping and i get to relax so i do not goto sleep before 1AM
I could see not eating at 8 if you goto sleep at like 10 but if you stay up later does it really matter?

My wife works later in the day so i still get my sleep mostly .

So what should i do to get the best results out of my day(s)?

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Check out some DVD's
    I have the Jillian Michaels Shred And my son even does it with me sometimes.
  • Jhjkt
    Jhjkt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that you shouldn't eat within 3 hours of bedtime. So, if you're up til 1 am then you wouldn't want to eat after 10. :)
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i'm no fitness expert, but i would say if you want to work out twice a day, do one when you get up, or shortly after, and one a couple hours before bed..i do that..i walk in the morning, and do my actual workout before bed..best of luck, feel free to add me if you like :D
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Its alright to eat before bed, I eat cottage cheese evey night. That 8pm saying is only a myth!

And if you want to work out 2 times a day keep them at least 4 hours a part and do lower time, higher intesity for both of them.

As for meals, divide you calories up into 6 meals a day, eating every three hours. Will keep your metabolism roarin!
  • TheWatchStander
    Options
    So I am a stay at home Dad and being as we are down to one car
    the only think i got to do is some house work tend to the kids .
    Exercise and play video games.

I like to try to do my treadmill twice a day but how long should i wait between work outs ?
    Should my second work out be more intense? less? same?

When should i fit my meals in also?
    I know everyone says do not eat after 8 pm but i tend to stay up a little later then most as that is the only true "me" time
    everyones sleeping and i get to relax so i do not goto sleep before 1AM
    I could see not eating at 8 if you goto sleep at like 10 but if you stay up later does it really matter?

My wife works later in the day so i still get my sleep mostly .

So what should i do to get the best results out of my day(s)?

Working out multiple times a day can increase the chance of an injury depending on the type and intesity of the workout. I would say that you should try and make each session different then the other. Push ups, sit ups, strength for one session and a solid cardio session for the second. If you want to do cardio for both sessions I would definenetly make one more intense and the second a more friendly pace for your current athletic ability. For the last meal of the day, if you are active later then most like you cited, then you should be fine eating a little later. Would still be good however to try to eat your big dinner meal early like 6-8 and then just eat a fiber bar or something light closer to your bed time. I would also reccommend eating every three hours to keep your metabolism processing food and buring calories as Naomi91 said.
    Just some thoughts. Hope they help.
  • jkim80
    jkim80 Posts: 7
    Options
    Check out the Dr.OZ website, he did a show recently giving the results of studies into when to eat and when to exercise to get the most benefit. If I remember correctly you should exercise right after getting up in the morning and eat within an hour of waking, this is supposed to get your metabolism in high gear for the day, he does say not to eat in the 3 hours before bed. He used times of day based on the average waking time of a north american which is apparently 6:30, pretty accurate for me since I am always up by 7 :) What is important is the timing regarding waking and exercise and time between meals etc

Also, I would think if you are working out twice a day you should try to do cardio at one work out and strength training at the other remembering to alternate muscle groups to allow your body to rest and rebuild :)
  • verjavec
    verjavec Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the gurus say, and I may be doing it wrong, but I get up around 6:30 and eat a thing of string cheese and then make lunches for everyone that needs one that day and make breakfast for the kids. At 7:30, I do my first workout with my husband before he goes to work. At 8:30 I make breakfast for myself. If I don't have plans in the morning, I do my second workout at 10. Lunch is around noon. If I don't have plans in the afternoon, my second or third workout is around 2-3. Sometimes I'll take a short walk with the kids around 4-4:30. Dinner is 5-6. Evenings are for relaxing and I'm in bed around midnight. I have to eat a snack before bed otherwise my blood sugar drops and my heart rate goes irregular and it wakes me up.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom of 3 children (one in school). I actually have a schedule for my family and it works great for us.

We're up at 730am, eat breakfast, send my oldest on the bus, lunch at 1100am, nap for my little 2 guys at 12ish, I work out for about an hour and do what I need to around the house, kiddos are up at 230ish, dinner at 5ish, kids down for bed at 8 and it's me time. Usually I'll do a small workout before bed.

I workout to dvds such as the Biggest Loser Cardio Max, Biggest Loser Power Walk and Leslie Sansone Walk at home 5 miles.