Ramen Noodles - Chilli Flavor

Options
I used to eat Ramen noodles all of the time when I was in college. My favorite was terriyaki and the hot and spicy, but now there's a new mouth flaming flavor that I love called Chilli.

The problem: One square with seasoning is 380 calories, which isn't much for what you get.

Any ideas of how to get the same flavor with: a) doing your own seasonings or b) I was even wondering about using whole wheat pasta instead?

Shannon

Replies

• toripiv
    toripiv Posts: 10
    Options
    There's different kinds of Ramen-like soups that have a lot less calories. I've personally never had Ramen so I don't know how much is in the container, but there's a type of organic Ramen that has 180 calories per container. The brand is McDougalls, and it's typically in the organic section of the grocery store. It does cost quite a bit more than the "regular" Ramen, however. I love the Miso Ramen flavor. :)
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think you could swap out the ramen for whole wheat noodles, and buy some hot sauce, or chili powder and doctor it up. I'd add in some onion and garlic too, and a broth base like chicken to give it some depth,

:)
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    I think it might taste really funny with whole wheat noodles personally. There are those shirataki noodles. I have no idea what the texture or taste is because I have not personally tried them but I have heard many good things about them, especially for calorie content. Maybe try hitting up the spice section of the store to find good combo's you might like to try.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles

http://www.mattfischer.com/ramen/?p=507

Here is a site for ramen seasoning recipe ideas (they are in the comments)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew, specifically what the spices were in this thing. I would try to healthy it up a bit. I'm not sure how specific the ingredients list is, but I'll try taking a look at it tonight. Is it the spice packet that jacks the calories up or is it the noodles. Anyone konw?

Shannon
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    It's the noodles that have the majority of calories. Most pastas or grains in general are going to have more calories.
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I never had these but one thing I love is Franks Sweet Chili Sauce. I eat it on almost everything. I put it on pasta, chicken or fish, use it instead of mayo in my chicken or egg salad. Its got great flavor!