What would you have done?? Restaurant issue related

Options
Can75
Can75 Posts: 13 Member
So my Husband & I went out for dinner tonight. To Applebees. I ordered a under 550 calorie meal and our waitress screwed up and brought me the chicken fajita meal. (This was not the only issue with service tonight either)

I did not send it back, because frankly I was starving & didn't want to wait. So I get home and enter the meal to find it was nearly TRIPLE the calories. I will say that I did NOT eat the cheese, sour cream, tomatoes that come with their fajita's... So I am sure that was a portion of the calories.

But still - I am so angry to realize the difference in calories. I will say that we only left a 5% tip because the service was so bad. And hubby put a detailed reason WHY it was only 5% on the bill.

Would you have sent the meal back or just sucked it up?

Replies

• kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I hate sending something back or even special ordering because I am afraid they will do something to my food!
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I would have sent it back. The few times this has happened to me, I sent it back and generally once they realize they have made a mistake, they will not only bring you your proper meal, but they will take the item off your bill so you don't have to pay for it. You are paying for a service so you are entitled to get what you paid for :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Sent it back... sorry, but I would have! Probably also asked for the manager and explained it to them... that's unacceptable!
  • Mrz_Rich
    Mrz_Rich Posts: 90
    Options
    I would have sent it back...especially if the service was bad to begin with. I used to waitress and sometimes people just have "off" days but you should have at least gotten the meal that you ordered. What's done is done though...take it with a grain of salt and move on. Next time, stick up for yourself!
  • otm25
    otm25 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    From someone who used to be in the biz, I would have sent it back! Totally not worth some incompetent waitress to throw away all of the hard work you have done! Not that you can't bounce back, but was Aplebee's really worth your cheat? I would much rather have Sushi or French food! BTW, if it was so bad, you should have asked to see her manager. Don't worry, just exercise and drink lots of water, tomorrow is a new day!
  • melissapoulin
    Options
    i would have sent it back, you go out to eat, you are paying for what you want, and i would expect to get what i ordered. but i also would have asked to speak to a manager and gotten my food comped. most places will give you some sort of discount because they don't want to deal with a big scene or something. but i am the kind of person that phones places if my takeout order is wrong in any way. i seem to have bad luck with that and end up with quite a few free meals.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the day and my mood. And what they brought instead. Chicken fajitas? I'd eat 'em (love!), but certain other things I could have passed up. I also know, because my ex-husband worked at a Fridays for a while, that if you are too mean to wait staff (no matter if they deserve it), they *will* do something to your food in the kitchen.

So, in short, if I had the presence of mind to say something politely, I would have sent it back. If I was going to be mean, then I would have sucked it up.
  • callmefor911
    callmefor911 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    guess u can chalk it up as a lesson learned.... I know I use mfp on my phone when we go out helps me figure out to make better choices..

see I would think the fajatis would have been good..
  • Vtrembacki
    Vtrembacki Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    honestly I would have probably looked up the nutrition facts on my phone (the beauty of smart phones!) and then decide if I should eat it or not.
  • bedazzledmom
    Options
    I would have most likely sent it back. You have specific nutritional needs and made a wise choice so they should respect that.
    It is the same as a Diabetic ordering a Diet drink. You should get what you ask for!

However, I could totally see myself doing the same thing, and would just accept it if I was starving too!

It's like they were tempting you......:devil:

Do you know what you would do "if" this situation ever were to occur again?:laugh:
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I've never had an order completely messed up where I got something I did not order. The only time I sent something back was when I ordered a steak and it was cold. I just told them to throw it in the microwave for a minute or two, LOL!

However, I figure if I'm paying for it, I want to be completely satisfied. If they messed up my meal like that and I was starving, I would have asked them to bring me a side salad (at no cost to me) to hold me over until what I ordered came out.
  • kamechaf
    kamechaf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If I was starving I would've ate it... but I would've felt guilty later when I got home. This week just get some extra excersies in and you will be ok. We derserve some "splurge" days every once in a while!
  • Yemaya1129
    Options
    I've waited tables and I too, would have sent it back. It's all in how you send it back, of course.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I AM A CHEF AND IF MY KITCHEN HAD MESSED UP A MEAL I WOULD WANT A CUSTOMER TO SEND IT BACK, ITS HOW I MAKE SURE MY SOU CHEFS, LINE COOKS AND ETC.. ARE DOING THEIR JOBS.

I PERSONALLY LIKE TO GO TO TABLE SIDE TO MAKE SURE YOU GET THE DISH YOU REQUESTED.
    SORRY YOU DIDNT GET YOUR DINNER CORRECT.

CHEF JENN
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    send it back.. you are paying for what you want. if it was free i might not be fussy, but if i am paying for it darned right i want what i ordered.

i ordered a side of steamed veg at a restuarant the other day, with NO seasoning on it (i know they use ALOT of salt.. it arrived, liberally sprinkled with the seasoning... back it went *S*
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I probably would have sent it back since it was completely the wrong meal, but can totally understand just keeping it because of hunger.
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    Depends! If I was there WITHOUT my kids, I would have sent it back for sure!!! If I was there WITH my kids, I wouldn't have because I wouldn't have wanted to have made my kids wait that long! Did they at least give you money off your bill?
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    If I was really hungry I would have ate it but just the meat and vegetable part of the meal, you did the right thing in cutting out the cheese. I ate at Applebees a couple weeks ago and ordered one of their low calorie meals it was there steak dish. I asked for it to be cooked medium, they brought out medium rare. At a nice steak house I wouldn't have complained because I will eat meat that way, If I know it is high quality, but at Applebees I usually won't chance it, when the manager came over to ask about my meal I said it was alright, but I ordered medium and showed him. He said let us make you a knew one, I said don't bother I already ate some it (i was starving) much to my delight they comped me the whole dinner.
  • Shaye85
    Shaye85 Posts: 107
    Options
    ALWAYS send it back, its their mistake and it should be what you want no matter what your paying for it, not to mention its messing up your intentions on having a healthier lifestyle!! if u sent it back and complained she would have known about the crappy tip before she recieved it and tried to do everything to make your experiance better(hopefully if she was a decent server)

I always send it back.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would have sent it back. I send things back frequently -- even if just the side veggie is wrong. It's not what I ordered, and not what I wanted. Also, I have quite a few food allergies, so an incorrect item can be health injuring. You have every right to send stuff back, if it's not right (or even if it truly sucks).

Just last week, I was attending a business dinner at Bonefish Grill and had ordered healthily -- grilled shrimp and scallop and steamed broccoli with a mango salsa on the side, so that I could control the quantity being consumed. It came out with an additional side of stewed garbanzo beans and some type of sausage along with other ingredients (looked like bell pepers -- allergy food). I immediately asked what that stuff on the side next to my broccoli was. was told, and then I immediately sent it back. It wasn't what I had ordered. Then when I tried the broccoli, it was tossed in garlic butter. Sent it back again.... since when does steamed broccoli mean broccoli w/garlic butter? They finally got it right. My business companions teased me a little about being so fussy, but I replied too bad... it's not what I ordered!

BTW, the calories weren't in the tomatoes... they were in the fajita marinade and the tortillas. Advice for the future... if you eat the fajita filling WITHOUT the tortilla, you save about 100 cals per tortilla (if not more -- depending on tortilla size). This goes for tortilla chips too. In addition, the beans and rice add a total of approx 250 cals, so be careful of those too.