HELP! Too many cals left wat to do?

Options
okay so I have eaten about 950 cals today and my cal goal is 1500ish. I decidd to hop on the bike because i ate a piece of cake and wanted to do just 20 mins of moderate biking. I ended up getting so enthralled in the fnal episode of Greek that I released my excitment and whatnot by biking faster. I ended up burning 588 cals! Now that is awesome but I have 1150ish cals to eat in the next hour and a half...

Do i eat these cals or is it better to just let it go? i dont want to eat anything unhealthy to make cals. I will eat a bowl of cereal but that is only 150 cals... HELP plz! Thx in advance and God bless!

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    you don't necessarily have to eat back your exercise calories if your not hungry. If you do choose to eat them back I would suggest yogurt/milk (higher in cals but still healthy) or a handful of almonds.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    In this situation you should find some kind of healthy fat to eat. Peanut butter, avocado, sweet potato, etc. You might not get your full calories, and one day won't ruin you, but it's always good to have something around that you can eat to fill up the space left by over-energized exercise. Also, chocolate milk is really good for you after exercise, so that could help, too.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Did you not have dinner? I think you will be okay if you don't eat back all those cals as this isn't an everyday thing but have some dinner :)
  • teasha43
    teasha43 Posts: 101
    Options
    I am unsure what to advise, but this has happened to me at times as well. If you are not hungry, I would let it go. Try to hit it tomorrow. If you are hungry...eat:) Not sure what the expert answer would be here...sorry
  • pooh072572
    Options
    Try adding some fruit and nuts to that cereal. Good stuff still going in, but it will result in more calories. Your body won't start thinking "starvation" after one day below calories. Just try not to let it happen too many days in a row.
  • JcRenee
    JcRenee Posts: 6
    Options
    i usually don't eat back my exercise calories, i eat around 1200 calories a day. you don't want to go under that, so i agree with the previous post drink milk or eat some yogurt. its healthy calories.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    let it go. never force yourself to eat. you wont starve and you wont go into this starvation mode myth people keep throwing around. if you arent hungry, let it go. you'll be fine.
  • rockbmw
    rockbmw Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi. You cannot "make up" calories like that. You'll overwhelm your system and end up storing more calories as fat-not to mention spiking your insulin levels. Eat something sensible to sleep on and "reset" tomorrow morning. :)
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Options
    If I have calories that need to be consumed and I am full of food, then I consume calories through beverages. Juice, milk or even a pop.
  • zmhayworth
    Options
    The more calories you have left over at the end of the day the more weight you're going to lose, so if anything you should be happy that you managed to get through the day with a lower intake. Eating something now just for the sake of eating will just put you that many calories further from your goal. Just think about it.
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    one oz of almonds has 160 calories, oatmeal depending on the kind about 150 a serving, banana 90. There's 400 calories, you have fiber, whole grain, potassium, mono fats. That would be a good way to spend the calories without feeling guilty.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem! My problem is I need a high-intensity workout, so most days when I workout I burn 1000 calories...There's NO way I can eat back all my calories--so I usually just let it go. I can't get my net calories to what my target goal is 1690 most days-I'm eating 2000 calories for the day, but with burning 1000, I'm only getting a net calorie of like 900+ most days...So what I do is try to compensate for it on days I don't workout (my rest days), those days I try to eat my target calories. I'm not trying to starve myself, but I feel like I've eaten enough prior to working out... I'm not usually hungry (I eat 3 medium sized meals and 2 snack each day). So I KNOW I can't be starving myself! I don't know what to advise, but I just let it go in all reality. But I wanted to comment cause I know your struggle!
  • TheWatchStander
    Options
    The more calories you have left over at the end of the day the more weight you're going to lose, so if anything you should be happy that you managed to get through the day with a lower intake. Eating something now just for the sake of eating will just put you that many calories further from your goal. Just think about it.

Only if you eat enough to stay above the minimum daily amount. You really shouldnt look at eating 900 calories as a perk... it is unhealthy and if done repetitiously can lead to your body slowing its metabolic rate in compensation. The number varies from person to person but you should always strive to eat over 1,200-1,500 calories a day and create the deficit through exercise.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thx you guys! i was worried because i dont usually end up like this andd i wasnt sure how it would affect me. I felt it was wrong to run around and stuff my face to meet a cal goal especially this late... I was just so busy today I forgot to eat.
  • rautaty
    rautaty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    May I ask you why you even ask this question?
    You knew you had to eat 1500 and you didn't, but instead you went and burned 588 additional cals? I am sorry, i don't understand.
    However, it's ok if you undereat one day, you have reserves(fat and muscle) that replaces this deficit. The worst you can do is to go and eat when you are not hungry. I wish you the best of luck.