Protein

Options
ok I is it bad to go over your protein intake for the day and if so why?

Thank you inadvance

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Not at all! Protein is set fairly low on MFP and I'm not sure why. As long as you are under your maintenance calories for the day, any excess protein will be excreted. Meaning, having a high protein intake will not hurt your diet.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Bump
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    for one day no..but if you eat a lot of protein it can be bad for your kidneys and bowels. unless you body build, you should only intake 40-50 grams of protein a day. i body build so i try to intake (on my weight days) 80-100 grams.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I go over my protein and fiber just about every day. I am not too worried about it though, I work out almost every day so I think that its probably something my body needs right now to facilitate growing muscles! :)
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    for one day no..but if you eat a lot of protein it can be bad for your kidneys and bowels. unless you body build, you should only intake 40-50 grams of protein a day. i body build so i try to intake (on my weight days) 80-100 grams.

I'm guessing you're basing your bad for your kidneys claim on the Martin study? Martin WF et. al. Dietary protein intake and renal function. Nutr Metab (2005) 2: 25.

However, the study only showed that, in individuals with preexisting kidney damage, protein intake often has to be reduced to prevent further development of the disease. This has been turned around to suggest that high-protein intakes are damaging to the kidneys. If you point me to a study that directly links protein with kidney function, I will start believing it.

EDIT: Quoting from the article.

Although the efficacy of high protein diets for weight loss has been evaluated, there have been no reports of protein-induced diminutions in renal function despite subject populations that are generally at risk for kidney disease (e.g., dyslipidemia, obesity, hypertension) [14,15,22,85-87] . A randomized comparison of the effects of high and low protein diets on renal function in obese individuals suggested that high protein diets did not present a health concern with regard to renal function their study population [65] . In this study, 65 overweight, but otherwise healthy, subjects adhered to a low or high protein diet for six months. In the high protein group, both kidney size and GFR were significantly increased from that measured at baseline. No changes in albumin excretion were noted for either group and the authors concluded that, despite acute changes in renal function and size, high protein intake did not have detrimental effects on renal function in healthy individuals. Similar findings were recently reported by Boden et al. [88] in a study of 10 subjects who consumed their typical diet for 7 days followed by strict adherence to a high protein diet for 14 days. No significant changes were noted in serum or urinary creatinine and albumin excretion, suggesting no ill-effects of a high protein diet on renal function.

Athletes, particularly in sports requiring strength and power, consume high levels of dietary protein [89,90] . In fact, many athletes habitually consume protein in excess of 2.0 g/kg/day [91] . Supplementation with amino acids will further increase dietary protein levels in these individuals [92] . Yet there is no evidence that this population is at greater risk for kidney disease or losses in renal function [90] . Poortsmans and Dellalieux [93] found that protein intakes in the range of ~1.4–1.9 g/kg/day or 170–243% of the recommended dietary allowance did not impair renal function in a group of 37 athletes. We found no data in the scientific literature to link high protein intakes to increased risk for impaired kidney function in healthy, physically active men and women.
  • mama_mia3
    mama_mia3 Posts: 66
    Options
    I've actually gone into my "settings" and increased my protein intake from what MFP set me up with. They had me at 20% protein and I bumped it to 30%. When I was at what MFP set up I found I was hungry ALL THE TIME during the day, and with the higher limit for myself NOW, I'm not. I've made it a personal goal for myself to always use up all my protein or as close to it as I can, and if I go over a little it's perfectly OK. I've had to invest a little in protein powder for a shake on the days I can't always bring myself to eat a whole chicken or cow, but so far it's been well worth it!! I wouldn't worry too much about it!!! You're doing great!!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The setting for protein is low on this site. Here is a protein calculator you could use to see where you should be.

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp

Best wishes!:flowerforyou:
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am glad to read this. I have only been doing this about 5 days, and I seem to go over on my protein and fat every day. But I will be under my calories. I am sure it is not good to always go over on fat. But on those days it seems to be because of the nuts or avacados. Never junk food. I just try to keep under my calories and get enough exercise in.