Fear of the scale

Options
Hey guys so I need advice.
Basically I'm afraid of the scale.
This doesn't make sense without a little background info: I'm 15 now, 2 1/2 years into recovering from Bulimia (I've had an unhealthy mindset for as long as I can remember, not even joking). So I've always had an obsession with the number game.
Alright, fast forward to my recovery. My parents took away the scale and I haven't stood on one (minus the doctor's office) in the 2 1/2 years.

It triggers me to just stop eating altogether.
This is the first time I'm dieting since I'm "healthy" again, and I'm constantly afraid of slipping back.
I know I'm losing weight, and I'd love to put numbers to it, but I'm afraid its going to be addicting.

Does anyone have any insight? :/

Replies

• WashingtonGrown
    Options
    Maybe you should measure yourself and use those numbers instead of the scale. To be honest the scale is very deceiving anyway. What number looks good on me may look totally different on someone else even at the same height. Being a number on scale doesn't define you, or make you "healthy". So concentrate on being healthy, make goals around losing inches, or getting into a smaller pant size.
  • kyramuffin
    kyramuffin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    maybe try going by measurements instead, like of your arms, waist, thighs...then you'll know if you're losing weight, but without knowing exactly how many pounds.
    make sure you have people supporting you too with doing it the healthy way. don't let anything triggering get into your view, take control of your environment and stay positive!
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    First, I would try to avoid using the word "diet" all together. This should be a lifestyle change for you that once you're comfortable with the weight that you get to, you can stay there without having to worry everyday. Try to only let the numbers be a guide. You should find a weight that you feel good at. After all, they are just numbers.

Maybe you're not ready for the scale and "dieting". I'd just use MFP to track your fat, carbs and protein intake.

this is about health...not weight.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    When I read your post, red flags waved. Only out of care for you and what you have been through, maybe this isn't the right thing for you. If you are going to continue with it, make sure your parents know your plan so that they can keep an eye on things in case you slip backwards. My tone in this post is that of care and sincerity only.