(embarrassing) digestive concern

Options
2»

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I have psyllium husks here (they're a powder) and mix it into juice and VAVOOM! That plus having a lot of vit c in the form of Emergen-C kind of helps ;)
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It really wouldn't hurt for you to take a ducolax tablet or two, these are the best ones, if you are feeling this miserable! I have been having problems with hard stools so I take stool softners and they seem to help a lot, if I don't take them it is very painful and agonizing. I don't think that you would abuse a few laxitives and it is perfectly safe as a once in awhile thing, this happens to everyone, why suffer?!
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Prune juice

that doesn't really work, now aloe vera juice thats another matter.
  • jlorton82
    jlorton82 Posts: 21
    Options
    OMG I am so glad to see someone else is having this problem!! And you know what, all the advice on here is great except that NONE of it has worked for me, prune juice, fresh prunes, fiber cereal, fiber bars, laxatives, enema's I have tried it all and nothing works. I might get a movement to occur but then the constipation just comes back and I am eating tons of fiber a day. Sometimes up to 50 grams of fiber a day. I drink plenty of water, eat tons of veggies and have cut out sugars, sweets etc..same as you. I have even gone to the doctor about this because sometimes I get so backed up that i start to have severe pains in my side and lower stomach. I dont know what causes it, I wish I did and I wish I had a solution but Ive got nothing. At least you can know you are not in this alone! I take a probiotic pearl (acidophilis) and it helps some, but I am still not regular and activia yogurt is a joke in my book, sure never helped me any. I hate to sound like there is no answer but I havent found one yet. If you find one, let me know and good luck to you! :)
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue my whole life. With the new life style I started taking Woman's one a days. Since I've been taking them I go regularly. If I forget to take them one day I notice right away because I wont go for that day. I cut it in half to get the vitamins for the full 24 hours, too.
  • malinda2011
    Options
    Look at your food journal, some foods cause this. Lettuce is my killer. I have had the same problems, gone to the ER even and it is all about the foods you eat. Be carefull with lettuce, NO popcorn or anything with seeds. Nuts didnt bother me but they do others I know with simular issues. Look at the days you felt the worst and see what you ate that day. Start cutting out foods one at a time until you have found what affects your body. Hope this helps.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    OMG I am so glad to see someone else is having this problem!! And you know what, all the advice on here is great except that NONE of it has worked for me, prune juice, fresh prunes, fiber cereal, fiber bars, laxatives, enema's I have tried it all and nothing works. I might get a movement to occur but then the constipation just comes back and I am eating tons of fiber a day. Sometimes up to 50 grams of fiber a day. I drink plenty of water, eat tons of veggies and have cut out sugars, sweets etc..same as you. I have even gone to the doctor about this because sometimes I get so backed up that i start to have severe pains in my side and lower stomach. I dont know what causes it, I wish I did and I wish I had a solution but Ive got nothing. At least you can know you are not in this alone! I take a probiotic pearl (acidophilis) and it helps some, but I am still not regular and activia yogurt is a joke in my book, sure never helped me any. I hate to sound like there is no answer but I havent found one yet. If you find one, let me know and good luck to you! :)

too much fiber in the diet, or sudden increase in fiber can dry you out causing constipation. if this is the case a laxative is worthless. this is exactly what your doctor is going to tell you, if you've tried a laxative for more than a week and it hasn't helped try a stool softener. miralax is what I use just mix it into my morning grapefruit juice. the stuff works wonders, its not nearly as fast as a stimulant laxative, but it also doesn't cause me any pain.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hi! :flowerforyou:

I like so many others have had the same problem - I guess for me what works is the metamucil a few times a day spread out. Sometimes, I will also take Miralax at the recommended dosage. Neither of these has been harsh for me and i was diagnosed with irritable bowel a while back - total constipation. Not too scary or serious though. But this is what my gastro Dr. told me to try and it worked. :blushing:

Since then I really studied up on both types of fiber. I noticed I have a really difficult time with the insoluble fibers like broccoli and whole grains, and do much better with the soluable type like peas, psyillum, rice, potatoes, oranges , etc . I know using the net you can find lists of both. My system likes things cooked instead of raw as well. Sometimes fiber is just too tough (eewwww!) to get through the digestive system uncooked. I was just eating mountains of broccoli and wondering why wasn't I going!!

Most of all what helped me was to relax, I was the type to worry too much - still am! :tongue:

So my advice is to experiment with the different kinds of fiber, lots of liquids, etc....maybe try the Metamucil or Miralax.

Best!
    Julia
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I started back in October and I was VERY constipated for the months of October and November. I was going once a week (if that!) and it wasn't much. I had read at the time that someone else had it and people said that they did too when they first started. People said it would go away and guess what, it went away! I just waited it out, made sure I stuck to my eating routine, and drank plenty of water. Eventually the flow started up again lol. Now I am more regular than I ever have been my whole life.
  • Snowbunny95
    Snowbunny95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started to feel a bit impacted too. Doctor recommended Miralax for me - trouble is for me to keep it up!

I try to get in my lettuce and fiber bars/cereal. So much water that people at work think there is something wrong with me I go to the restroom so often!

Only thing I ever feel is 'plugged'. Sometimes if the Miralax doesn't work, I opt for the stronger laxative....which is okay - sometimes only!

Like others said, I have found moving makes me 'move'. On one of my bike rides last week, I felt like I was going to ... go.

Imagine what our insides were like before we started eating better - all that fat and grease! YUCK!
  • chocbeast
    chocbeast Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey, I haven't checked your food diary but it could be that there is too much insoluble fibre in your diet, your body finds it difficult to move this through the intestines. Try reducing insoluble and increasing soluble fibre?