How do I start strength training?

Options
Sorry, I'm not an exercise buff and I've always focused on cardio. How do I begin strength training? Is this lifting weights? How do I know how much weight to start out with and how many times, etc? Just get me started here :)

Replies

• mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    start w/jillian michael's no more trouble zones... you use light weights (start w/3lb & work up to 5lbs) & your own body weight to help tone up. that dvd has been kicking my *kitten* for over a year now.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    Go slow. Try a few push ups a day to see where you stand. Muscular Strength is assessed by measuring maximum amount of weight a person can lift one time. Do static exercises or dynamic exercises.Static( Isometric )-muscle contraction without change in length of muscle or joint angle. Example: Pushing against a brick wall, hold for six seconds. Dynamic( Isotonic )-muscle contraction with a change in the length or the muscle. Example: Bicep Curls, up and down, etc.
    Static Exercises: Isometric Exercises
     No equipment
     Builds strength rapidly

Dynamic Exercises: Isotonic Exercises
     With or without equipment
     Use full range or motion

One should do these exercises 2-3 nonconsecutive days a week with one day of rest between. Life as heavy as 80% of your 1RM. 1-5 repetitions for strength. Make sure to cool down 5-10 minutes by stretching and warm up with the same 5-10 minutes of stretching.
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I was told to do lighter weights and more reps to tone and a higher amount of weights and less reps for strength.
  • pjfmaui73
    pjfmaui73 Posts: 408
    Options
    I have a couple on Jillian Michaels dvd's and I think they're all great and definately help with toning. I'm doing ripped in 30 right now. It last 30 min total including warm up and cool down. It progressively gets harder from week to week...great way to keep the body burning fat :) Best of luck to you!!!!
  • kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    absolutely - use your own body wieght to start with. It costs you nothing to set up, as you're using your own body as resistence.

Google "body wieght exercises" and you'll find heaps of examples with pics (tricep dips, push ups, planks, jump squats, lunges, sit ups, wall sit etc). I would start with 5 excercises, and do 2 sets of 8 reps of each. on the alternate day, pick another 5 (different exercises) and do 2 sets of 8 reps. alternate, and as you get stronger, increase the sets to 3 or even 4, or increase the number of reps up to 12 or 15.

Good luck,
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i use bodybuilding.com 's website. its very helpful and has many good articles. it also has lots of examples of exercises. some would put yoga in 'strength' training. but it all depends on what your goals are.

there are tons of different types of bodybuilding or strength training, and all claim this or that. you just need to find one you like. I use HST right now, but its more of an advanced type program.

Usually when weight lifting, there are two types..splits or whole body. I use whole body. With splits you only workout one body part each day (shoulders one day, arms one day, legs one day, abs one day etc). This is usually 5-6 times a week. with whole body, you do several compound exercises only 3 or so times a week. You work out your entire body, usually rest a day and work out every other day.

There are sets and reps. reps are the number or amount of times you lift a particular weight. sets are how many times you do those reps. I am on 10 reps 3 sets. meaning i rest a tad bit after my 10 reps, and i do 10 reps 3 times. for a total of 30 lifts.

you will have to find out how much you can lift. if you wish to build muscle and strength its good to lift heavier weights. for endurance lift lighter weights many times. progression is the key to getting stronger and building mass. Meaning if you find it too easy to lift a weight, lift heavier.