July 7th MFP runner's club

Options
Mireille
Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
Good morning,

Had a late evening yesterday, therefore could not be up at 5am and run. If old man comes home early I will get out tonight. Otherwise, it's a day off for me.

Have a great day! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mireille
    Options
    Good morning,

Had a late evening yesterday, therefore could not be up at 5am and run. If old man comes home early I will get out tonight. Otherwise, it's a day off for me.

Have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Bootcamp started today so I didn't run per say. We did running drills. Does that count? :happy:

I may only run one day this week and that will be on Thursday so happying running to everyone.
  • Mireille
    Options
    Bootcamp started today so I didn't run per say. We did running drills. Does that count? :happy:

I may only run one day this week and that will be on Thursday so happying running to everyone.

I say it does! :flowerforyou:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone!! Happy Monday!

I am scheduled for 4 miles tonight. I have done some reading and I am going to make this week and next week about my breathing. I still don't have my breathing under control and it is frustrating! So I am going to work on the 3-2 pattern breathing. Right now I just breath normally and I am always out of wind by the end of my runs.

Anyone who has had any experience with breathing work please chime in - I would love all the advice I can get!!

Mireille - :flowerforyou: -'nuf said. Hope you have a great day.
  • Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Options
    Good morning runners! I was out of town (without internet access) over the weekend, but I did run 3 miles yesterday, and tonight is BOOT CAMP! Sherry, I definitely say Boot Camp counts. :)

Have a great day everyone!
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Running Makes You Smarter
    Written by: Shane February 1st, 2008 Category: Research & Statistics

It seems like scientists figure out another reason why running is good for us every week. Spark, a new book by John J. Ratey sets out to prove that exercise makes us smarter. He explains how muscle activity produces proteins that play a role in our brain development and daily thought processes. Case studies prove that exercise can change our mental state and boost our creative capacity. As a runner, I already realize this. After a run, I rarely feel tired; only invigorated and refreshed.

Spark demonstrates that exercise is a key combatant against a variety of ailments such as ADD, aggression, menopause, Alzheimer's, and depression, the leading cause of disability of the U.S. With the ever-growing list of bonuses, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to run. Spark has great reviews on Amazon and looks like a good read.

Dedicated to the SMARTEST people on MFP!! :heart:
    Tricia
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Morning! :yawn:

Meant to wake up early, but didn't get much sleep last night. I'll try this evening or tomorrow morning.

Happy running, ya'll! :flowerforyou:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I had a great swim this morning and then I have an hour run this evening! Happy Running!
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    Hey! I got up and ran 4.5 miles today despite not wanting to AT ALL. Lets just say my bad food choices this past holiday weekend had me feeling a little bit less than perky HA. Oh well this is a new week. Hope everyone has a good monday :flowerforyou:
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Hey! I got up and ran 4.5 miles today despite not wanting to AT ALL. Lets just say my bad food choices this past holiday weekend had me feeling a little bit less than perky HA. Oh well this is a new week. Hope everyone has a good monday :flowerforyou:

Good for you for overcoming all those nasty conversations in your brain about not getting up this am!! YEA! Now you can feel a little better about those bad food decisions and move on!! Feel good about that decision for the rest of the day and stop beating yourself up over the bad choices - it was a holiday!! :flowerforyou:

I have already turned down two offers for lunch today because I know that if I go out I am going to make bad choices!
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    :smile: Thanks Tricia for that encouraging research on the benefits of running! I always feel sharper and more energetic after a workout (and those endorphins really lift your mood.). I'm going to look up that article so I can look at it when I am unmotivated!
    I am going out for three miles while my kids are at swimming lessons. Will try to increase running time and decrease walking time!
    I'm interested in what you all find out about breathing. I have no method!
    Have a great day!
    Bunny
  • meemi42
    meemi42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'd be interesting in hearing more about breathing methods as well. I've been "running" for about 18 months now. I say "running" caus it's looks more like a shuffle with lots of panting and red, red cheeks. Getting my breathing under control would be a real benefit.

I just bought a month pass to a local college gym so I can workout through the heat and humidity of a Michigan summer. I'm also new to the runner's group and am hoping to learn and be inspired by all of you.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    hey all!!!

Haven't run since Friday...and I woke up to rain and my back hurt so I am going tomorrow morning come rain or shine....I did some lunges, situps and pushes and squats, so that's something I suppose lol.

I hope you all have a great day...my lunch is almost over but I'll check back in later!

OH one thing I wanted to quickly comment on...the breathing thing...not sure I have a method...but I get into a groove....Its hard to remember to breath the right way and sometimes feel really awkward in the beginning, but I breath in via my nose and out via my mouth...and again its a rhythm thing w/ me....once I get it I can run for a long time...before I learned to breath right I was losing my breath after a mile....good luck, I'm sure other's will give much better advice on it than I lol

hugs!
    Ali
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    I'd be interesting in hearing more about breathing methods as well. I've been "running" for about 18 months now. I say "running" caus it's looks more like a shuffle with lots of panting and red, red cheeks. Getting my breathing under control would be a real benefit.

I just bought a month pass to a local college gym so I can workout through the heat and humidity of a Michigan summer. I'm also new to the runner's group and am hoping to learn and be inspired by all of you.

HI! Red-faced, Shufflers are Welcome!! :laugh:

Good for you for getting the gym membership - summer heat and humidity can be brutal but I bet all those cute, young, hunky college boys are quite motivating!! eghfal.gif
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    hey all!!!

Haven't run since Friday...and I woke up to rain and my back hurt so I am going tomorrow morning come rain or shine....I did some lunges, situps and pushes and squats, so that's something I suppose lol.

I hope you all have a great day...my lunch is almost over but I'll check back in later!

OH one thing I wanted to quickly comment on...the breathing thing...not sure I have a method...but I get into a groove....Its hard to remember to breath the right way and sometimes feel really awkward in the beginning, but I breath in via my nose and out via my mouth...and again its a rhythm thing w/ me....once I get it I can run for a long time...before I learned to breath right I was losing my breath after a mile....good luck, I'm sure other's will give much better advice on it than I lol

hugs!
    Ali

Hey Ali - that is quite a few days now that your back has been bothering you - is it getting better or do you think you might need a good massage or some PT? Take care of yourself please!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Frustrated...still in need of rest. foot feels better but knee still sore (grrrrrr) :explode:
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Frustrated...still in need of rest. foot feels better but knee still sore (grrrrrr) :explode:

Another injured member....this just won't do!! seriously, take care of yourself and don't rush it!!! you will be back at it in no time! and just think about all this great heat and humidity you are missing!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll! Everyone is doing so well! HOORAY!!! So sorry for those who are sore and broken. Yuck! Feel better soon.

I am once again putting my last night travels here...so I did it!!! I had too many of each "group" so I had a bowl of light ice cream...and it was fantabulous. I had so much else left over, so I drank water and went to bed. Thanks for the push friends!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll! Everyone is doing so well! HOORAY!!! So sorry for those who are sore and broken. Yuck! Feel better soon.

I am once again putting my last night travels here...so I did it!!! I had too many of each "group" so I had a bowl of light ice cream...and it was fantabulous. I had so much else left over, so I drank water and went to bed. Thanks for the push friends!

Nice going! :flowerforyou: How far did you go? :smile:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!

Today was a slug workout. I say that because I felt a bit like a slug after my long run yesterday. I did weightlifting (arms and core) and then I walked my dog.

Yesterday I had something called Harvey Wallbanger cake with strawberries. I'm not really that much of a cake person, and I usually can easily pass up any kind of cake, but it was great! It was really moist and dense (and fattening). Good thing I had some extra calories to eat! See that's the real reason I run!

Have a great day everybody!

Terry:flowerforyou: