not losing, not gaining

Options
Hi everyone,
I am 19 and I have been using myfitnesspal since the middle of February. I have lost six pounds so far. It feels great. I exercise six times a week for at least an hour doing various activities. For the past week, I have not gained nor lost any weight. However, I have been exercising and eating well. Is this normal?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    It is normal and expected. We all have plateaus. You may need to adjust your calorie intake to a little less. As you lose weight, it takes less calories to maintain that weight. Try lowering by 100. Also how much do you weigh now? The smaller you are, the harder it will be to lose any fat. Of course, you could be retaining water. What I would do, is I'd take a break from working out, just watch what you eat. Your body does need to rest to lose fat. If you are putting yourself under continous stress, you are probably holding in that cortisol they say makes you retain fat.

So lower your cals, rest for about week (i know this seems against everything you've probably been told), and re-do your calorie BMR. When you go back to working out, change up your routine. Try lessening the cardio, and try more weight lifting.
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just went through this too! Try eating and exercising at different times of the day. So if your work out in the morning try to in the afternoon or evening or vice versa. You may need to be eat more calories if you aren't hitting your goal. Also you maybe losing inches! I didn't lose any weight last week and yet lost 4.5 inches! Take your measurements and go by that too.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    It happens to me every time I increase the amount of exercise I have been doing. It may be water retention in your muscles or you may need to try different stuff with your diet. Remember to take measurements because sometimes you will be losing inches whereas the scale says you aren't losing anything.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Just keep going. You don't have to have a loss registered on the scales every single week. As long as there is an overall downhill trend in your weight, then don't worry - there's nothing wrong.
  • rebecca916
    Options
    thank you all (: I weigh myself every few days and all it's been lately is 126.4 pounds.
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The other thing to remember is when you don't have much weight to lose, like you, it is going to come off slowly. Try to shake things up a bit with your diet and exercise and take your measurements. I bet your body is changing just not reflecting on the scale. It could be that you are building muscle as well. How are your clothes fitting? Are you noticing a change?