Excercise take away calories?

Options
Hi all,

i was wondering if someone could help. i am new to the site and have noticed that when i add running it adds free calories but when i added excercises it did not add calories. have a done something wrong?

thanks for any help

Rob

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that you enter that shows a calorie burn should add calories back to your daily intake goal. The strength training section is the only exception as far as I know. Double check the calorie burn because you can actually edit the hours AND calories for each exercise. Maybe it was deleted or changed to zero in error before it was saved?
  • findngme
    findngme Posts: 34
    Options
    it only counts calories listed under cardio, not strength. if you do strength, you might be able to list it under calisthenics in order to add the calories too.
    good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    it only counts calories listed under cardio, not strength. if you do strength, you might be able to list it under calisthenics in order to add the calories too.
    good luck!

Or you could list it as "strength training" in the cardio section
  • RPNKA
    RPNKA Posts: 28
    Options
    You can only add calories to daily comsumption if your workout is a cardiovascular exercise for example treadmill or eliptical. If you are doing strength training for example crunchs or push ups it will not add additional calories for your consumption for the day.
  • NicNac86
    NicNac86 Posts: 130
    Options
    You can only add calories to daily comsumption if your workout is a cardiovascular exercise for example treadmill or eliptical. If you are doing strength training for example crunchs or push ups it will not add additional calories for your consumption for the day.

You sure dude? Doesn't seem right to me lol

Edit: In fact it's not, I just looked up push ups as an example and MFP does have it under cardiovascular exercise too, so you can estimate how long you do them for and it gives you some calories back :)

I think the strength training section was added so people could track how many sets/reps they were/are doing.
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    NicNac is right. Strength training (but also gardening etc.) can be found in the database and that is how it can be put under cardio. The caloric values given are pretty low for such activities. But strength training costs calories not for the duration of the exercise but the intensity. That determines muscle growth, and such growth requires energy, especially for maintenance. Hence, you rarely see the guys in the weights section do any major cardio.

I sneak in slow exercise here during days that I can't work out. Just to keep somewhat in the green figures that day hahaha
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bump...

...to put strength training in for calroie burn do it under cardio!!!
  • bertie36
    bertie36 Posts: 8
    Options
    thanks for your helps guys. i will look into the strength/cardio suggestions and try that.

some great advice really quickly! i think i will like this site!