Sitting at a desk, any workout suggestions?

Options
boehle
boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
I am sure there are many of us that have desk jobs?
Does anyone have any suggestions to do while sitting and working?
Sounds kinda weird but I hate just sitting here sometimes and dont want to stand up and have everyone stare at me while I do punches or jumping jacks ... lol

Replies

• DST513
    DST513 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    as someone on my friend list say it's an exercise to get ride of the extra flap at the bottom. Suck in your tummy and squeeze your thighs, bend knees and raise them. Just repeat raises and putting them done. Hope i explain it right and its affective for you!!
  • jdgaley
    jdgaley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There are a select few at my rat maze that will sit on an excersize ball rather than the "blue office chair of death" and "creator of flat butts". Just a thought. Enjoy and best of luck!
  • findngme
    findngme Posts: 34
    Options
    do you have stairs? can you take a 5 minute break and run the stairs a few times? i've also done jumping jacks in the bathroom, many times! i have people all around me so i'm way too embarrassed to do anything at my desk. it also helps to park farther from the building to force you to walk a little farther twice a day.
  • sandman933
    sandman933 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You could get one of those underdesk stair steppers to do while you are at work.
  • MarcAwesome
    Options
    Depends on whether you care about how you look or not, and whether or not you have your own office. Sometimes I will get up to do wall sits (focuses on your abs/legs) where you stand against the wall then lower your body to where your knees are bent at a 90 degree angle and hold that position for as long as you can.

http://www.advanceorthopt.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/wall-sit-exercise.jpg.w180h314.jpg

or you can stand up and do calf raises which you raise yourself with the front of your toes and then lower yourself for however many reps you'd like.

http://www.womansday.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/15-minutes-for-a-healthy-heart/calf-raises-for-legs/42872-1-eng-US/Calf-Raises-For-Legs_slideshow_image.jpg

Just be creative and think of what you could do.
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Change your chair for a exercise ball?!
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    If you don't want to get up and jump around lol just fidgeting will actually burn calories too, so if you are not actively doing something like ab and butt clenches lol. Shake your foot or move your arms while you are talking and be italian lol. Any movement even if small is better then nothing.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    do you have stairs? can you take a 5 minute break and run the stairs a few times? i've also done jumping jacks in the bathroom, many times! i have people all around me so i'm way too embarrassed to do anything at my desk. it also helps to park farther from the building to force you to walk a little farther twice a day.

This! I set an hourly reminder to pop up in my Outlook Calendar and when it goes off, I head to the stairs and go up to the top (we have four floors) and back down at least four times! I also go up to the fourth floor by stairs to use the ladies room and breakroom for water!

There are other folks in my office who take walks outside around the parking garage or the building at various times of the day.

Good luck!
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm all for using the excercise ball as well in place of the usual chair. It makes you work your core muscles.
  • sgirl29
    sgirl29 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I so understand I sit at a desk all day as well.... A copule of things that I have tried is swamping my desk chair for an exercise ball for a couple hours a day and walking as much as possible. Suggestions: Stretch your arms and legs as much as possible, use the copier/fax machine on a different floor, walk to co-workers cubicles/offices instead of calling or emailing them, and take a walk at lunchtime either up and down the stairs or outside around the block if the weather permits. These things have really helped me... Good Luck! :)
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! I recently got the BodyBugg and found out that I burn barely any more calories all day at work than I do sleeping! And I'm not getting any activity at all, of course. So I've been trying to figure out ways to move around more but it's still not much. I'll try the garage and stairs ideas definitely.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I'm also a desk sitter. Weather pending, I take walks at lunch. Luckily many people at my work like to do the same so there is always someone to walk with to pass the time. My building is somewhat large, so I also take a quick stretching walk whenever I get up to go to the bathroom, get water, etc. If I am feeling stagnant I will also just stretch my legs out and hold them up for a few seconds under my desk.
  • jdgaley
    jdgaley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Move the trash can further away forcing you to stretch/move.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i found this link when i typed in exercises i can do at my desk,
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/328828-exercises-i-can-do-at-my-desk-at-work/
    it has several things to do in the article and on the right hand side of the page is a list of several others to try for focusing on differant parts of your body while at your desk.
  • deanie0515
    deanie0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!!! I needed to see this :wink:
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! I need to know too!!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! I'm an RN, and recently left bedside nursing for a "desk job". Love these ideas, thanx for sharing!

:drinker:

Ice