Working Mamas

Options
Any other working moms out there who go to the gym regularly? I work full time, Monday-Friday 8-4:30, I go the the gym Monday, Wednesday and Thursday in the evenings. I've got a wonderful almost 3 year old at home who is getting sick of me going to the gym. I miss him so much and feel terrible when he's begging me to stay and I have to go. I just don't know what to do! I know that if i'm going to be healthy and around for a long time, I need to be going to the gym. I just don't workout at home, no matter how much I try, I always come up with an excuse. I work with a trainer at the gym, so he holds me accountable for being there. It really helps me get there and give it 110%.

Do you go through this guilt too? How do you handle it? I don't know if I should stop going to the gym or what. =/ I feel like such a bad mama when he wants me to stay home and I leave.

Replies

• tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Can you take your workout clothes with you and just stop on your way home from work? That way he doesn't have to deal with you leaving again?
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I am a SAHM at the moment but I was working a few months back and will begin working again this Monday (ugh). I understand what you mean about feeling guilty. I never had time for the gym but still felt guilty that I was getting home late from work and barely spending any time with the kids. Is there any way you can go to the gym during your lunch break? How about only going to the gym twice a week and walking for 45 minutes on the third day with your kid? Just a thought :).
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Can you take your workout clothes with you and just stop on your way home from work? That way he doesn't have to deal with you leaving again?

It's not an option right now, but might be in the future. Right now I have to pick him up from daycare at 4:30, my husband can't leave work until then. He will go in to nursery school next year though, so my husband can probably pick him up then. Also, I'm training at 6:30 right now, so I like to go home so I can at least spend a little time with him before I leave. I'm going to try to have the trainer fit me in earlier, but he's booked up in the evening right now. Just sucks!
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I agree with tattoodfreek go straight to the gym if its possible. So when you get home you dont have to leave again....
    I finish work at 4:00 then go to the gym before going home...it seems easier that way
  • MommyRobot
    Options
    Hmm, I am a SAHM at the moment but I was working a few months back and will begin working again this Monday (ugh). I understand what you mean about feeling guilty. I never had time for the gym but still felt guilty that I was getting home late from work and barely spending any time with the kids. Is there any way you can go to the gym during your lunch break? How about only going to the gym twice a week and walking for 45 minutes on the third day with your kid? Just a thought :).

That is what I will be doing in the warmer months!!! I can't wait for this snow to go away. I just keep telling myself that it's only another month or so until we'll be outside everyday and I won't need to be at the gym as much during the week. Today it's 12 degrees with about 3 feet of snow on the ground. Unfortunately, there isn't really anywhere safe to go for a walk with him (thank you neighbors who don't shovel their sidewalks! ugh.)

Good luck with the new job!!
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options

It's not an option right now, but might be in the future. Right now I have to pick him up from daycare at 4:30, my husband can't leave work until then. He will go in to nursery school next year though, so my husband can probably pick him up then. Also, I'm training at 6:30 right now, so I like to go home so I can at least spend a little time with him before I leave. I'm going to try to have the trainer fit me in earlier, but he's booked up in the evening right now. Just sucks!

Ok I see when is his bedtime...can you go to the gym a lil later after he goes to bed
  • MommyRobot
    Options

Ok I see when is his bedtime...can you go to the gym a lil later after he goes to bed

He goes down between 8-8:30, and the trainers stop at 8:30. So right now I can't but hopefully in the future I can figure out a different gym schedule. I think it'll get better once the snow and cold stop, and we can both be outside more. I just wondered if anyone else went through the same feelings.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Flip your schedule around and go to the gym early instead! I am a single Mom and when my daughter was 3, nor did I want to spend time away from her any more than she wanted to spend it away from me, so I started getting up at 5:30 a.m. to work out!
  • MommyRobot
    Options
    Flip your schedule around and go to the gym early instead! I am a single Mom and when my daughter was 3, nor did I want to spend time away from her any more than she wanted to spend it away from me, so I started getting up at 5:30 a.m. to work out!

I have thought about doing this, and talked to my trainer about it. He said he will let me know when he has an opening in the morning. :) Hopefully he will soon.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I am having to deal with this as well except my gym is at home. I dont get home from work until 4pm when I have to pick him up from preschool and we get to the house where I give him a snack and he plays with his cars while I run on the *dreadmill or do an hour workout video. Then I have to shower and get dinner ready and next thing I know it is time to start cleaning up and get him ready for bed. I am really missing quality time with him but at the same time, I need to be pro-active in my weight loss. My father passed away when he was 42, both of his parents passed away before 45- all due to heart disease and Type 2 Diabieties so I am trying to stay on top of getting this extra weight off my mid-section. I feel so guilty :(
  • katie2279
    Options
    Hi there, I have to deal with this too. I have a 6 and 3 year old. They both wine when it is time for me to go to the gym. Does your gym have a daycare? I take my kids there once a week and on saturdays. So they feel like they get to do somethign special while I am working out.

If not, just make the time you are with him special. I had to tell my daughter (6) last night that I will stay home tonight and play school and dolls with her since I worked out last night and I am working out on Wednesday. I have extra cuddle time with my son (3) tonight too.

Even if they make you feel guilty you do have to realize that it is temporary and you are doing his so you will be around for them for a long long time. It is hard not to feel guilty but I think if you just make most of the time you do spend with them when you are home it will be worth it and please dont let anyone make you feel bad for going to the gym and not spending time with your kids. I had to learn that and it wasnt easy but now I feel like I am a better mom for doing what I need/want to do and I am able to balance what my kids need/want.
  • satara_marcellus7
    satara_marcellus7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, I completely understand what you are going through. I have a 18 month son and I work full time M-F. When I first started working out I was having a hard time finding the time to get the workouts in b/c I didn't want to take time away from my family. A friend suggested that I wake up early in the morning and workout then. I do the P90X program. So I don't have to leave the house but now that I am training for a 10K. Then I will go to the gym and run. So I usually wake up at 3:50 and workout while everyone is sleeping. It sucks waking up that early but I get a workout in and I don't feel guilty for taking time away from my son or boyfriend. If you decide to wake up early you have to make sure you go to bed a decent time or else you will be completely exhausted by the time you get hm from work. Good Luck!!!