energy drinks that are healthy?

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I work night shift-before changing to healthier eating I would drink coffee and a cola during the shift to help keep me goin-is there any different alternatives to this -I am also breastfeeding my baby too-

Red Bull is full of good stuff, including vitamins and amino acids.
  • Hurricane0721
    Options
    As someone in the medical field I can tell you that I would avoid energy drinks if you can. If you use them, then use them sparingly. There is not a huge body of research on these energy drinks, because some of them have only been around for a few years. However, from the research that is out there I can tell you two things. DO NOT mix these energy drinks with alcohol! Alcohol is bad enough for your liver. Trying to metabolize alcohol in addition to a huge burst of caffeine is not going to do your liver any favors. There is also a growing body of research which suggests that some of these energy drinks could be bad for your heart, especially the caffeinated drinks. Some of these energy drinks are absorbed very quickly into the bloodstream, and for some people such a big hit of caffeine can cause their heart rate to reach a really high level, and that can be dangerous if you drink these drinks on a regular basis.
  • Hurricane0721
    Options
    I should add one important thing from the medical research concerning these energy drinks. I think Red Bull has been on the market for the longest, since about the late 90's. The scary thing about regular consumption of these energy drinks is that many of these drinks have only been on the market within the last decade or so. Medically we have no idea what the long-term effects of regular energy drink consumption is over a long-term period of time like for 20-30 years. We just don't know. Therefore, I think like anything in your diet, moderation is the key. I would avoid regular consumption of these energy drinks. I would only use them once in awhile if you're really tired, and you need a quick burst of energy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I should add one important thing from the medical research concerning these energy drinks. I think Red Bull has been on the market for the longest, since about the late 90's. The scary thing about regular consumption of these energy drinks is that many of these drinks have only been on the market within the last decade or so. Medically we have no idea what the long-term effects of regular energy drink consumption is over a long-term period of time like for 20-30 years. We just don't know. Therefore, I think like anything in your diet, moderation is the key. I would avoid regular consumption of these energy drinks. I would only use them once in awhile if you're really tired, and you need a quick burst of energy.

People have been consuming caffeine, vitamins, water, sucrose, and amino acids for quite some time, and they have all been studied. There is really nothing new here, except putting them in a beverage with a label.