fingernails

Options
vox23
vox23 Posts: 246 Member
I know I saw a post about this awhile ago, but for the life of me I can not find it.

I've noticed, since I started really watching what I was eating, that my fingernails have taken a turn for the worse - they are peeling like crazy. So I figure I must be missing something from my diet.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My first thought was that its probably calcium that's missing, or fatty acids such as fish oils, olive oil etc. But it could also be a fungal infection which is extremely common and easily passed from person to person.

It's probably worth a quick visit to the doctor to confirm.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    That's a good question. Mine have been doing the same thing lately and my thoughts went to "what am I lacking in my diet?"

For me, I haven't changed the way I eat drastically. We've been eating healthy for three years now. I just hit a bout of "cheating" more with some things that were going on in my life. Since I've gotten back on track is when my nails started peeling and breaking a lot.

I'll be very interested to see what people say.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Have you had your hands in the sink more? Washing vegies and fruit? If so that can dry your nails and make them split and peel. It can take a couple months for your nails to grow out, so what ever is going on at the edge of your nail now could have happened a couple months ago while it was forming and growing out. Many places that have a wide selection of vitamin suppliments have one that is for "hair skin and nails" that has biotin, A and E in it. Give Google a shot and see what you come up with. You can always take a trip to your doctor if it becomes a problem.