Protein...

Options
How much is too much???

I have started having protein shakes which takes me over MFP recommended protein amount, but ive heard having a lot of protein when exercising 5 times a week is important for weight loss??

How much would be too much.

If it helps, Im 5'3 and weigh 139lbs (i want to lose 14lbs). I exercise at least 5 times a week for at least 280-300 minutes a week.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    do you use the default mfp settings for protein?
  • laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options
    Yep, but im unsure of what to change it to for my own personal goals
  • lisabernard
    lisabernard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The default goals are WAY TOO LOW Protein will help you feel full longer. I get at lease 100 grams a day of protein.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 100g but usually it will average 130-160. I try and get as much as I can so it helps with my strength training but it can never go too much unless you eat loads and loads of food in general. If you are exercising and getting enough water it really wouldn't be a problem.

Alot of people say to try and get at least 1g for every lbs so for you 139g goal. I think the goal on here is seen as more of a minimum rather than maximum you should be consuming :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

give us your stats, Height, weight, activity level, age, what you are doing for exercise weekly, what your goal is (long term) what your weekly weight loss goal is. Characterize yourself as far as type of exerciser (aggressive, moderate, timid...etc.) and let us know if you have any medical conditions.

That way we can at least give you some kind of an informed opinion on it.
  • aschrader7
    Options
    I try to get at least 100g but usually it will average 130-160. I try and get as much as I can so it helps with my strength training but it can never go too much unless you eat loads and loads of food in general. If you are exercising and getting enough water it really wouldn't be a problem.

Alot of people say to try and get at least 1g for every lbs so for you 139g goal. I think the goal on here is seen as more of a minimum rather than maximum you should be consuming :)

Agreed. I've been trying to eat at least 100 grams myself. If you are working out that much, then your body needs the fuel. I've been seeing much better results since I started making a more concerted effort to do this. Good luck!
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb... regardless of the recommended protein, you should be taking in at least 1 gram of protein for every pound of weight you WISH to weigh.

My goal weight is 170 lbs. so I eat at least 170 grams of protein a day. Protein is used to not only build muscle but also to repair it.

Always eat your protein with a carb to get the most out of it.

If you do not eat enough protein, your body will reach for energy from your own muscles... which will shrink your overall body and make you a smaller person as opposed to a leaner person.
  • laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options

give us your stats, Height, weight, activity level, age, what you are doing for exercise weekly, what your goal is (long term) what your weekly weight loss goal is. Characterize yourself as far as type of exerciser (aggressive, moderate, timid...etc.) and let us know if you have any medical conditions.

That way we can at least give you some kind of an informed opinion on it.

im 5'3 and weigh 139lbs (want to weigh around 120lbs and lose another 6-8% body fat), im 23 and i do 3 exercise classes a week (1hr of circuits, 1hr of Zumba, 45mins of spinning) and i go tho the gym twice a week (usually 50mins of cadio and 15mins of weights) and im quite aggressive when i go, always pushing myself... apart from that i sit at a desk all day!!! no medical conditions, just slightly overweight!!!
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Try to eat 120 grams daily. Your body will use the 100 grams to sustain muscle and the other 20 grams to repair from the light weight lifting. :)
  • Candiceg13
    Candiceg13 Posts: 218
    Options
    Try to eat 120 grams daily. Your body will use the 100 grams to sustain muscle and the other 20 grams to repair from the light weight lifting. :)

Question for you Damonmath.... if you would be willing to answer....

I am 28yo female, 5'4, currently 169 lbs, and gw is 150.... I work out 6 days/week (Turbo Fire, Chalean Extreme) so cardio and strength... all the info I find is that I should be consuming approx 200+ g of protein per day?! Does this sound accurate? and if so, how am I supposed to increase that from my avg intake of 100g per day???

I appreciate your feedback.... :smile: