Calories consumed vs. calorie expenditure question

Options
My daily calorie intake is 1400. On days that I exercise it goes even higher as we all know. Is it better for me to limit myself to 1400 calories regardless if I exercise or not or go up to 1400 after my exercised is subtracted from my daily intake?

So if I eat 1400 and subtract 600 from that I have a 800 calorie net. Should I eat more or will that sabotage me? Or am I sabotaging myself anyway my eating too little??

I can never get a straight answer from websites on how that equation works! :)

Thanks!!

Starting: 174
Current: 164
Mini Goal: 160 by 5/1/11

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Eat them. 1400 is already a deficit. If you burn more you need to eat more so as not to overload(read: underfeed) your system.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    That's the most asked question. I didn't count anything I put out of my body, i always ate 1400 regardless. However, had I known i was putting out 700-1000 calories, I would have eaten. I was starving, and i would deny myself the food. I would suggest, if you're hungry you eat. listen to your body. If you arent hungry.. don't stuff yourself.
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would say you need to stay close to your 1400 calories - it may affect your health and metabolism. MFP calculates how many calories you need to eat to lose 1-2lbs (your choice) per week. So that 1400 calories is what you need.
  • sburt1
    sburt1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It is a personal opinion thing. When I work out I eat most of my calories back but not all of them. Some people on here don't eat them back at all....it really depends on what works for you. I have still lost weight even when I eat mine back. I know thats not a straight answer but i really think it all depends on what works best for you! Good Luck!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    you do need to eat more if you exercise. It is hard to pinpoint what your burn is, so to avoid overestimating, some people eat back half or "most" of them, but your body needs the fuel!

Trust me, this stuff works!
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    Get your net calories as close to your goal calories as possible. You don't want to put your body into starvation mode, it will prevent you from losing weight.
  • matron4591
    Options
    Hi. My daily calorie intake is 1200. I eat this amount no matter what exercise I do. I never eat them back but treat them as a bonus 'off ' and my weight is going down every week. Good Luck. x
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My daily calorie intake is 1400. On days that I exercise it goes even higher as we all know. Is it better for me to limit myself to 1400 calories regardless if I exercise or not or go up to 1400 after my exercised is subtracted from my daily intake?

So if I eat 1400 and subtract 600 from that I have a 800 calorie net. Should I eat more or will that sabotage me? Or am I sabotaging myself anyway my eating too little??

I can never get a straight answer from websites on how that equation works! :)

Thanks!!

Starting: 174
    Current: 164
    Mini Goal: 160 by 5/1/11

Just posted something on this earlier today that might be helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/188509-my-take-on-exercise-calories-please-read-if-you-are-new

And mara232, that's not right. 1400 calories is what she needs without any exercise. Exercise increases the body's need for fuel. I would suggest you read the link above as well.