Scared to Eat After Workouts

Options
Maybe it's just my delusional mind, but everytime I get home from the gym I won't eat. I have had several people tell me that its best to eat protein after a good workout because the body is still looking for food to burn and protein is the best source. But everytime I workout, I feel that I'm defeating the purpose of working out and then going home to eat. Almost like I'm scared to eat because then I won't lose any weight. One of the trainers at my gym told me that its okay to eat something sensible, as long as it's not right before I lay down for the night. For the last month or so, I have not been eating after 7pm, which is the same time that I go to the gym. So by the time I get home I almost feel like I'm starving but my mind is like "No! You can't eat! If you do, you might as well not even workout!". I know this sounds crazy but I'm just so terrified to gain back anything that I lose.

Replies

• Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the politest possible manner; that is absolutely ridiculous. I hate to be blunt, but, as you said, you know it's a crazy idea.

There's already a deficit in your calorie count. Stay within your net calories, and your weight will go down. You'll hurt yourself if you don't refuel properly after exercise.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    eating a ratio to 2:1 carbs/protein is VERY important after a workout. This helps you body recover more quickly, and restor glycogen back into your muscles. It wont defeat the purpose, it will only improve you! Try for some oatmeal after a workout or some multigrain cracker and tuna :] no need for a huge amount of protein or a supplement unless you want to
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Why not have a small garden salad, or and apple and a few almonds? A protein shake maybe? You don't have to eat an all-out meal, but a SMALL snack can help keep those hunger pangs away and not erase your efforts at the gym. You can't go starving yourself, it is counter productive. Luck to ya, you'll manage this!!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    By not eating protein after your work out, your body is going to eat the only protein in its system WHICH IS YOUR MUSCLE!!!!!!

so basically your work out was a waste of time. Feed your body good protein.

oh and read the link in my signature, She basically explains that even tho you are working out, you will lose wieght but in the end you will be fatter, than you are now (fat percentage wise) from not eating atleast some of your burned calories because you body will feast on your muscle. You don't really wanna lose your muscle over your fat do you?
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3 days a week. Two of them are at night and I do eat dinner when I get home and a light snack prior to the workouts. On Saturdays I go to the gym early and try to have a piece of fruit or half a bagel.. something to give me some fuel and then finish my breakfast after. I have been steadily losing an average of 2-3 pounds per week.

Oh, and if I am hungry and have the calories to spare, I do sometimes have a snack just before I go to bed too. And so far, so good.... Now, once I get much closer to my goal weight that might have to be changed, but for now it's working for me.

Good luck... but don't let yourself feel like you are starving.. to me that is setting yourself up to fail.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    And also, It is a good idea to eat after 7 pm. That is a complete myth to not eat at night. You still burn calories while you sleep and could use some protein before bed. Try some cottage cheese! Casien protein so it is slower to be absorbed, slowing muscle break down
  • Renise01
    Renise01 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing when I finally started working out seriously. You may want to try something small after your workout - A protein bar or shake wouldn't be too heavy before bed. Or even oatmeal would be good I think. Just make sure you are eating ENOUGH calories throughout the day. It defeats your workouts if you aren't fueling your body and when you don't get enough calories each day your body will store what you do get as fat (that's what my trainer used to tell me) :happy:

Have a great rest of the day!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Actually you do need protein after a workout. That's how you keep your body from burning muscle mass instead of fat. And your metabolism is up after working out. Your body is burning more calories at this time. Protein after a workout is good for muscle recovery.

Plus your caloric intake can end up way too low (which can happen when working out - diet and cardio cause muscle mass loss) which is detrimental for weight loss and not healthy at all.

And it is ok to eat at night. The body burns calories 24/7. I work out in the evening so I try and have a good dinner and then about 1 1/2 to 2 hours before bed I have a cup of milk with my protein powder. I have heard that a high protein snack before bed turns on the HGH (this hormone burns through fat while we sleep). I have heard cottage cheese is a great bedtime snack. (Don't get the fat free. Entirely too salty!)
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    And it's not like you are going to eat a huge meal anyway if you are going to bed shortly after. Maybe you could eat a protein bar or a protein shake if you really don't want to eat an actual meal, but the others are right. I worked out for a month straight and couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing any weight - I WASN'T EATING ENOUGH OR AT THE RIGHT INTERVALS.

EAS, and Jillian Michaels have good protein powders. Myoplex lite is a good ready-to-drink shake, and there are tons of protein bars out there you can get as as well.

Good luck!!!
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    It took me a while to figure this out but say you have a calorie max of 1500. That is the amount of calories you're supposed to eat in order to have your body functioning well and still be healthy etc. If you work out and burn 650 calories, that 650 short of what is supposed to be in your body. Now, not saying you should hit up McD's after your work out but you should at least eat something to replenish what was burned off.

That's how I see and understand it.
    Search and add KarenBorter-awesome information on all this stuff and willing to answer questions as well.
  • Loveebbs
    Loveebbs Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    After my workouts, I usually have my small dinner with some type of meat (chicken, turkey, and etc.) and veggies. I believe eating after you workout will fuel your body and you won't crash or feel extremely tired.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of workout you're doing. If it's just a cardio workout, it's advised not to eat anything for about an hour afterward. If you're doing strength training, or even a strength and cardio combo, it's best to eat something with a combination of protein and carbs within an hour afterward to help your muscles recover and grow. Something like a glass of milk or a protein shake and a banana are great for after a workout, and don't pack a lot of calories, although you do have to be careful with your protein supplement. Some come premixed with carbs and fat and are more of a meal replacement.
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Eating after a workout is the BEST time to eat! Your engine is running, the fire is hot, and you have depleted a lot of energy, nutrients and water. Also since the fire is hot, the calories will be hard to stick to you and can't be stored energy since you're on fire! If your energy is low, you will start to deplete your glycogen stores which leads to your body using muscle as an energy source for "food". You want to avoid using muscle as a food source, so eating will help replenish your glycogen stores and also aid in recovery. Chocolate milk, sweet potatoes are good sources for a post workout snack.
    Also you burn calories when you sleep. Your body spends that time rebooting and refixing (repairing) everything you did during the day. If you aren't eating enough...again your body will use muscle as a food source.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I always eat after a workout - immediately after, I guzzle down a protein shake... VERY important for re-building muscle and I guzzle this down anytime from 7-8:30pm. Definately a myth about not eating at night, you just have to make so nutritious choices really! PS - if you think you'll gain weight, you can check my profile, I have been doing this since June and haven't gained, I've continued to lose...
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    By not eating protein after your work out, your body is going to eat the only protein in its system WHICH IS YOUR MUSCLE!!!!!!

so basically your work out was a waste of time. Feed your body good protein.

oh and read the link in my signature, She basically explains that even tho you are working out, you will lose wieght but in the end you will be fatter, than you are now (fat percentage wise) from not eating atleast some of your burned calories because you body will feast on your muscle. You don't really wanna lose your muscle over your fat do you?

GREAT GREAT LINK! I'M PUTTING THAT IN MY SIGNATURE IF I STILL HAVE ROOM. THANKS!
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    If you don’t have a protein snack after then your body will start to cannibalize its self and you will loose muscle... Losing muscle mean slow metabolism witch leads to no weight loss and a slew of health problems. At least have a glass of low fat milk after a workout. But you do need protein at least 30 min after a workout.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I have 2 questions for youl

1. What type of exercise are you doing? To be blunt, most people don't exercise long enough or hard enough to worry about "refueling" after a workout. Sustained intense, and that is the key word INTENSE, cardio activity an hour or more, then yes. Anything else, not so much. An hour of running, you absolutely need to refuel. An hour of walking, not really. It is however VERY important that you eat well throughout the day. And eat @ a caloric level to sustain your energy.

I usually eat dinner not too long after I go to the gym so I don't worry about the post workout aspect of eating too much.

2. Are you hungry? If you are, eat something, preferably protein: nuts, smoothie, etc. If not, don't worry about it.
  • eandskp
    eandskp Posts: 54
    Options
    Here is some good information from Dr. Mercola's website, www.drmercola.com :

Aerobic/Cardio – After engaging in a fat loss-centered cardiovascular workout, take a break for about 45-60 minutes before eating a whole food, high-quality source of protein and vegetable-type carbohydrate. An example would be chicken and spinach salad. You don’t need to wait an hour after the session because you’ll want to ride the fat-burning wave and avoid starvation mode.

Resistance – A post muscle-building resistance workout meal needs to be absorbed rapidly because you only have a one-hour window to open the gates for amino acids, glycogen and other anabolic nutrients to enter and help repair your muscles. You’ll want to eat this meal 15-30 minutes after an intense weight training session. Failure to do so may diminish the chances of allowing your muscles to recover properly to make them bigger and stronger. Darin’s recommended meal is whey protein and a higher glycemic, fast released, starchy carbohydrate such as a banana.
  • rjcode6
    rjcode6 Posts: 15
    Options
    It's true that is not a good idea to eat before bed, but you can have a snack after a workout. I have noticed that if I have something to eat when I'm hungry, that is not too high in calories, it keeps me from binging and giving up. Don't starve yourself because it is a condition that you can't keep up forever, and then you will just binge eat and give up all together. It is also a good idea to drink lots of water after a work out because it will give you that feeling of being full without the calories. I wish you the best of luck on reaching your goals. Remember it took a long time to get to the weight you are now, and it is only normal for it to take a long time for it to come off.

5' 8"
    SW: 225
    CW: 212
    GW: 150
  • wiltbank
    wiltbank Posts: 6
    Options

This.

Have a simple sugar before you start -- a handful of grapes, some apple slices... something to give you energy to burn during your workout. After that, you really should have protein to give your body something to burn.