Don't want to bulk up like a dude....

Options
Read a good article - if you are one of the women that are afraid to lift weights because you're afraid that you'll look like a man, take a peek at this article.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/myth-of-women-lifting-heavy.htm
Thought that it was interesting.
Steph

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    haha thanks. It always cracks me up when women think that they will naturally look like a guy from lifting :)
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I love this website and thank God you posted this. It's hard enough for guys to put on big solid muscle. For girls it's even harder!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    great article! :)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Strength training is really important and it has only managed to make me smaller and smaller so far.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Strength training is really important and it has only managed to make me smaller and smaller so far.

Ditto!!!!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Amen. I hear this all the time and it's one of the most frustrating "wive's tales" that persists!

When I have someone I'm training who believes this, heart and soul, I tell them I'll give them their money back if that happens as long as they follow my directions (healthy eating, logging food, and working out HARD) and I've never had to refund anyone. Every time, these gals become converts -- and are on a mission to educate their friends about the benefit of working out hard.

Thanks for posting!
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    Ufortunately from experience I know I do look like a man when I build muscle. Gotta love this Tranny like build of mine. SIGH!
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!!!

I have been lifting regularly with my husband for the past year and I am stronger, but not bulked up...although I do have some strong arms!!!!! I love it...it is the cardio I have trouble with (but getting better about). I lost weight last year from watching my carbs and lifting...but then gained in back at the end of the year when I started eating based on my emotions (UUUGGHHH)...got back on track about a month ago and have lost 12 pounds so far (from watching calories and lifting).

I love lifting weights...I feel empowered!
  • gooteek
    gooteek Posts: 64
    Options
    Yeah, unless you use steroids or have a disorder, you can only go where your genetics take you. If your family line has larger (MESO) body types, than simply stick to higher reps and lower weight to offset your genetics somewhat. If you have a burley family line, you could gain a lot of size by doing power lifting with heavy loads and low reps, whereas if you stick to cardio and circuit weight training with lower weight and high reps, you should only gain lean muscle mass.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I was just reading another great article on the same site about "The Scientifically Proven Approach To Training And Nutrition" this morning:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/idssports3.htm
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    How do women l Iris Kyle get bodies like they have?
    I assume they don't use illegal substances due to competition.
    Are they just few females who have the make up to do it?
    x
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    x

Iris kyle is a pretty impressive body builder, I don't think its attractive but it does take astronomical levels of dedication and determination for her to look like that. I'm pretty sure shes on some heavy duty estrogen blockers and steroids. ( I have no idea what women take to look like that, but an estrogen blocker has to be in the mix) The majority of the pro competitions ( think the OLYMPIA, or any IFBB shows) are UNTESTED, meaning those substances are certainly not illegal for competition. They do have natural competitions, but I can almost guarantee Iris Kyle is not a part of those.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    x

Iris kyle is a pretty impressive body builder, I don't think its attractive but it does take astronomical levels of dedication and determination for her to look like that. I'm pretty sure shes on some heavy duty estrogen blockers and steroids. ( I have no idea what women take to look like that, but an estrogen blocker has to be in the mix) The majority of the pro competitions ( think the OLYMPIA, or any IFBB shows) are UNTESTED, meaning those substances are certainly not illegal for competition. They do have natural competitions, but I can almost guarantee Iris Kyle is not a part of those.

Thank you.
    I did wonder.
    I saw something about her at the olympia - read it as Olympics and obviously they are tested - so confused meself!!
    I don't find it nice to look at all but agree it must take dedication and a lot of work.
    Fair play to her!

Thanks for this.

Edit as I'm stupid. LOL