My Guilty Pleasure, PLEASE HELP! lol

Options
Ok so after being on MFP for a while and looking at my food diary it seems the thing I have a hard time staying away from is RANCH. I like it on everything, not just veggies, but when i make homemade pizzas, salads anything,

Does anyone have some healthy alternatives or ranch options that wont break my calorie count.

Replies

• Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have a low fat ranch, tastes just as good IMO. I can't remember if it's Hidden Valley or Kraft though.
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96
    Options
    I've read that some people take plain greek yogurt and add ranch dressing powder (Comes in a packet).
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I can't give you any suggestions as I was going to ask this question as well! I would really like to know if there is something that gives a similar taste but with fewer calories. I LOVE ranch dressing on salads and a little on my mashed potatoes and baked potatoes. Hopefully we get some good suggestions!=)
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I too love ranch dressing. What is it about ranch that you love? I like the tanginess, so nonfat Greek yogurt works well for me. When I want it add flavour or 'mouth feel', I use hummus. I miss ranch so much, especially dipping my pizza slices in it or having it with fries. When I want greasy food, I have smoked salmon. It's rich, salty and decadent, without being toooo bad. The salt does put me at or over my allowance for salt though.
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    Ok so after being on MFP for a while and looking at my food diary it seems the thing I have a hard time staying away from is RANCH. I like it on everything, not just veggies, but when i make homemade pizzas, salads anything,

Does anyone have some healthy alternatives or ranch options that wont break my calorie count.

I still use it -- but only a teaspoon and no more. I am just limiting the amount but still getting the flavor. There is nothing that tastes like ranch to me, but ranch.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've kinda kicked my "ranch on fries" phase, and now am a huge (shrinking) fan of light balsamic dressing for salads. BUT, to get to that point, I started by using feta and ranch-seasoned Snap-Peas (or ranch croutons) on my salad.... so there'd be something creamy, and something ranch flavored...

It was easier to stop than find a satisfying substitute, however.
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've read that some people take plain greek yogurt and add ranch dressing powder (Comes in a packet).
    I was going to suggest this, but I have also heard of people using cottage cheese with ranch dressing mix.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I use light ranch dressing But have also heard about the greek yogurt with ranch sprinkled on it but have not tried it.
  • mollie526
    Options
    I use Hidden Valley Light...I really like it!
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would try using plain greek yogurt and powder ranch seasoning. I think that would do the trick. Dont use the whole powder packet though. Just enough to get the taste.
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I use Marie's Lite Ranch - only 60 calories for 2 Tbsp.

2523716.png
  • tiffanykeaton
    tiffanykeaton Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    im a big fan of dipping my raw veggies (carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, etc) in ranch. Been told that you can put the freshly washed veggies in a big ziplock bag, add dry ranch packet, shake and eat it like that. haven't tried it yet, but i imagine it'd be good!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have more trouble staying under on sodium than on fat or calories, so I prefer to go for the regular versions over the light or no-fat.
  • stephcorona
    stephcorona Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    yup this is me to a T, i love it on my potatoes and pizza. I do ok on salads, i have converted to oil and vingar for that and do eat hummus for that and i guess i willl have to try the greek yogurt and ranch packet.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ranch is awesome. I do try and limit my intake to salad or veggie dipping. I like the Hellmans Blue ribbon creamy ranch in the tall bottle. I think its 80 for 2 TBSP.

Any way I do use a light version that I have grown to accept. Avoid Fat free stick with Light. Also definitely play with the mix packets and low cal yogurt or sour cream and cut the thickness with some fat free/skim milk