sweet potatoes

Options
I have heard good things about these yucky things. Does anyone have good recipies for making these? I have heard of sweet potato fries. Anything else that doesn't include smothering it in ranch or cheese to make them taste good lol. :wink:

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I bake mine and eat with a little low fat margarine. I have partially baked, peeled, sliced and pan fried in canola oil (yummy). But I like them any way I can get them.
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    I bake mine and eat with a little low fat margarine. I have partially baked, peeled, sliced and pan fried in canola oil (yummy). But I like them any way I can get them.

Thanks! :happy:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Peel them and cut them into 1" cubes and put them on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp honey and 2 tsp lemon juice. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees. Yum! You can find all kinds of recipes online.
  • jjeckels
    jjeckels Posts: 57
    Options
    Sweet potato chips...
    slice them, place them flat on a cooking sheet, and then bake with cooking spray on each side until brown/crisp...you will need to flip them once.

When they are finished sprinkle this mixture as a topping:
    1 tbs cumin
    1 tsp splenda
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp chili powder

Delicious!!!!! :glasses:
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Their actually not nasty, I was SCHOCKED when I tasted them. I was like how can a SWEET potatoe be good for you. Bake in the oven and slice it and eat it with some grilled chicken etc. It makes you feel full to.
  • misynme
    misynme Posts: 1
    Options
    I like mine peeled, cut and baked in the oven with enough water to cover bottom of dish and drizzled with olive oil. Some people will eat them from the microwave but, they taste much better baked until soft.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Peel them, cut them up boil them and mash them, add in a little cinammon, they are a fantastic alternative to regular mashed potatoes.
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I bake mine also and I eat them plain! My husband is a french fries kind of guy so I cut some for him and I bake or fry them!! They are so good for you!! Hope that you enjoy!!!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I like to just bake it and eat it with a little salt. If I am not too worried about calorie total for the day, I add some margarine or butter. Simple, but to me it is the best way to eat them.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I wash them and bake them in foil in the oven until mushy. Slice open like a baked potatoe and sprinkle with a pkt of Splenda and some cinnamon. Add a little butter if your calories allow. Sooo good! Caution though-make sure to check portion size. Some of them can be large enough for 3 or 4 servings.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I wash them and bake them in foil in the oven until mushy. Slice open like a baked potatoe and sprinkle with a pkt of Splenda and some cinnamon. Add a little butter if your calories allow. Sooo good! Caution though-make sure to check portion size. Some of them can be large enough for 3 or 4 servings.

And one serving (200g) equals 180 calories!
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I like mine baked with just a touch of butter and cinnamon.
  • mikeveggie68
    Options
    sweet potato fries are the best thing ever.. EVER! I bake mine with a little evoo and sprinkle cinnamon and cayenne pepper on top, and love it!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I like to eat mine like I eat my squash! A little butter and a little brown sugar... sometimes i substitute my brown sugar for splenda or cinnamon, or both!

It definately helps to sweeten them up!

Honey is great too!

But I LOVE THEM!
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    Sweet potato chips...
    slice them, place them flat on a cooking sheet, and then bake with cooking spray on each side until brown/crisp...you will need to flip them once.

When they are finished sprinkle this mixture as a topping:
    1 tbs cumin
    1 tsp splenda
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp chili powder

Delicious!!!!! :glasses:

Wow that sounds really good! New food to try this week: Sweet Potato Chips!

And thanks everyone for your favorite sweet potato recipies. :happy: Maybe I will actually end up liking these things after all!